1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boys and Girls, The Future of Newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Dec 14, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Mix in a color LCD screen. A lower price to reach more readers.
    And you got it.
    Shorter stories. Quick-hit news.
    No more longballs. Narratives and the written feature are for magazines.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_6055642_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0C8PNWW13HGSXX667T6J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=340036301&pf_rd_i=507846

2. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

How are you going to wrap a fish in that?

3. fishwrapper

Presents a problem, doesn't it?

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yawn

why have one of those when you have one of these?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. fishwrapper

I have a BlackBerry Pearl. You're missing the point.
    And, when Microsoft launches their platform next year, you can flush that one.

6. HoopsMcCann

no, i'm not missing the point -- digital readers have been around for a while, with downloadable content. just because its branded by amazon doesn't kill the newspaper. the cell phone and distribution through cell phones and devices like the iphone and blackberry are much more part of the future than amazon's 1996 machine

7. HoopsMcCann

just like the zune has taken over the world!

8. fishwrapper

I didn't say it would kill newspapers. Those were your words.
    You're stuck on the gadget. The immediate technology. The interest is the merger of content and platform and technology. Specifically original content.
    The New York Times and Washington Post seem to thing "amazon's 1996 machine" is worthwhile. They're providers of the content.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The thing is, the merger already exists, content-wise anyway -- I read L.A. Times and WaPo stories on my phone all the time. I get AP feeds from Google. All formatted for a cell-phone screen (after about a year of trial-and-error, anyway.)

The next step is for every daily newspaper in the country to give you that kind of formatted, real-time access to their content on the gadgets people use -- which won't be the Kindle, I'm betting.

10. fishwrapper

It won't be Kindle. Of course not. It will be the phone or whatever the utilitarian device it is in five years.
    Associated Press feeds are not the unique content that will save your career. I'm not sure if I can stress that enough. The Google feeds? Will kill careers (mine too) faster than save.
    Your chains. Your papers will need the avenue to deliver the content.
    Without that technology. Without that ambition. Well, you see my point.
    That's the discussion that's worthwhile. Not the microchip.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I was thinking about dropping $400 on the 16GB iTouch. After reading about the Kindle, I'm definitely buying the iTouch.

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

That thing sounds really impractical to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted