1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boycott Wired or Chris Anderson is a foof

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jul 29, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Chris Anderson, Wired's editor, has a book — Free — and as a result of the book tour is getting lots of ink in the various print publications he thinks are a waste of time.
    Der Spiegel did an interview that Salon picked up.
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/07/28/wired/index.html

Some sample bits
    Okay, Anderson is a foof. At the first part of the interview, he says "media" is a word he doesn't use At the end of the interview he won't shut up about how he thinks the "media" are going to fail. He doesn't think bloggers should be paid. he doesn't think that news gathering as a profession will exist. He thinks being part of the media means it will be a hobby.
    He's the person who says "we'll find a way to make money" off the internet, but we don't know how yet. His magazine — Wired — has said repeatedly they have to have a print operation to stay in business, and pay Anderson's salary since he gets paid, but at the same time, he's chanting that his occupation will eventually be a hobby.
    And, dammit, attention and reputation are not "economies." They are aspects of business that do not generate direct revenue.
    If I had a subscription to Wired, I'd cancel it. But I've bought maybe two copies of it in my life. But, maybe, it is time to let Anderson that lots of "hobbyists" think it is time for him to STFU.
    Any suggestions?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Great rebounder, though. High-energy guy.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Your first quality post.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hope you mean as my latest incarnation; otherwise, I'm pissed.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Is there anything more cliche now than comparing media to horse and carriages or blacksmiths? All he was missing was calling newspaper dinosaurs.

Oh yeah, he's a big plagiarist too. But, since plagiarism is free, no biggie.

http://gawker.com/5301674/wired-editor-steals-content-for-book-about-how-content-should-be-free

And Malcolm Gladwell fairly trashed it in a review.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2009/07/06/090706crbo_books_gladwell

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't use the word "jackass."

Wait, sure I do. This guy sounds like one.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Anderson and Jeff Jarvis should start a consulting firm together, so they could tell everyone else how to work for free in the future, while they get paid for their books.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

So what does this douchefoof call his own magazine, which is part of "the media," if someone asks him?

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

It's a new era, man. Embrace the now. Live in the modern. Get with the times. Think outside the box. *insert bull-shit bingo phrase here*

You know what stuff like this makes me think when I read it?

Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all.

You want to get your news from Twitter and Facebook or BaseDwellerCopyPaste.com, and from what the dude in the next cubicle thinks is randomly interesting? Alrighty, then. Fuck you. Fuck you all.

There's a great Edmund Burke quote that I constantly come back to. Usually when talking to someone about the Bush II years, but it applies to this, too.

"People get the [government/society/what-have-you] they deserve."

And it's really true. And if this is the society this guy wants? Fuck him. He can have it. He can be an ignorant, functional illiterate with no conception of the world beyond pop culture dreck and spin-filled, partisan venom. That is fucking fine with me. Fuck him and fuck them all. If they don't understand the value of what's being pissed away right now, they won't until it's too late, and there's nothing you can do to change that except point and say "I told you so" when they finally do. And there's a certain satisfaction in that. Maybe not a lot of satisfaction, but I find some. Perhaps I'm just mean.

But, seriously, fuck him and fuck the lot of them.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it's amazing how so few people can grasp that although they never read the newspaper anymore, the twitter feed they're reading came from someone else's twitter feed which came from another twitter feed which came from a blog WHICH COPIED FROM A FUCKING NEWSPAPER.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fenian had a poisoned drinking water analogy which was a more concise take on what j-school blue said.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

This is sometimes true.

It is very, very often untrue.

Draft saved Draft deleted