1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy, this Beckham thing started out to be a disaster. It's been great since.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 6, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: Boy, this Beckham thing has been a disaster

But the thing is, it hasn't. MLS is getting extra exposure, more tickets are being sold, merchandise is flying off the shelves and awareness of the league has never been higher.

Even though he hasn't played, Beckham's impact has already been felt, and it may get bigger once he gets healthy.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Are MLS teams charging more for Beckham games the way the Mets do for Bonds and other freak-show attractions?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I expect to see this same type of thread if Garnett is injured and can't open the season for Boston.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What's Garnett's wife look like?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Blue Jays pregame just showed Beckham - surrounded by photogs - chatting with Joe Torre on the field during BP.

No idea whether Toronto FC charged more for the Beckham game - doubt it - but MLSE, which owns the team, said earlier in the week it had no calls from people inquiring about refunds even though they made it clear in several stories that there would be no refunds.

I really have no interest in soccer but Toronto FC has been a huge hit, despite the team's on-field struggles. By all accounts BMO Field is a great facility and the fan support has been outstanding. Apparently without Beckham to cheer/razz etc. they went after Landon Donovan last night.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If she was a part of a group that sold tens of millions of albums, I'm sure we'd all know.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watched most of the Toronto-Galaxy match last night. As has been noted on this board, the Toronto crowd and atmosphere were terrific.

Beckham looked resplendent in his black suit.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That was a heck of a suit.
    If he's not going to play, he should at least to be forced to tell us where he's getting his clothes.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yes.

For the Galaxy SuperLiga match, FC Dallas charged $250 for field seats, twice what they charged for SuperLiga matches against Mexican teams. Midrange seats went up from $40 to $65, and the cheapest tickets went from $20 to $35.

Beckham's no-show left the Hoops with a lot of egg on their face.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hmm . . . Boom, heyabbott, trounced . . . I'm sure Yawn will weigh in soon with his uninformed thoughts regarding soccer as well. How very original.

At this point, can't really argue with poindexter. When you consider the bad vibes built up by charging higher ticket prices for the Beckham games and also charging higher prices for parking in some markets, I would say MLS is winning few friends. Thus faqr, it has been a disaster, with no true "blame" (though yahoo.com's new soccer guy had an interesting article about how Real Madrid's cortisone shots to get Becks on the field likely hlped prolong the injury).

Here's that aticle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=ro-beckham073007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Looking at the archive, it's sort of amusing how yahoo is approaching their "soccer" coverage. Nine articles by the new writer - an Englishman, shockingly enough - with eight about Beckham, and one about . . . I'll give you three gesses.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Better than Posh, I'll say that much.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'd rather see Toronto's passion, than the sit-on-your-hands-gawker crowd Beckham brings anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted