1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy, this Beckham thing started out to be a disaster. It's been great since.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 6, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Still hasn't played a game.

I am not blaming anyone. If you are hurt, you are hurt.

But with all the ESPN promotion, the Hollywood "royalty" showing up at the first game, and the guy has played 19 minutes... and he shouldn't have played those. The whole thing is a big fat "much ado about nothing".

Boom, spnited and other soccer haters could not have had this thing set up on a tee any better.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: Boy, this Beckham thing has been a disaster

Who the hell is Beckham?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Lets see where this is in 2012.

Then will be the time to see whether it's been a disaster, not less than one month in.

Honestly.......

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you are going to start the hype machine, it has to be done in advance. This is one of the risks that you take.

It isn't as if the guy is dogging it -- he played last weekend when he had no business on the pitch.

This was part of an e-mail for the Red Bulls Beckham game in two weeks:

- While we anticipate David Beckham’s attendance and participation in this match, fans should be aware that various circumstances - injury-related or otherwise - could prevent his, or any other player’s, appearance in this match. All sales are final and tickets are non-refundable.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The guy got injured playing for his national team. The only solution to avoiding this would be to lock him in his house and, if you allow him out, wrap him up in bubble wrap.

Professional athletes get injured. It happens. The tickets are still sold. There are more cameras there. And if anyone decided to watch the games they would have seen some solid soccer played.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

What I feel bad for are the people in Toronto who payed to see Beckham play and saw him sitting on the sidelines. He does have a five year deal, so hopefully Toronto fans will get to see him play somewhere in those years.

Saw his documentary though and he is a great pressure player.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There have been capacity crowds in Toronto for close to the entire season. While Beckham not playing probably disappointed people, it's not like they weren't going to show up anyway.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Beckham is the new WNBA, no one cares except the network which carries the game and the sports editor who feels an obligation to push the stories.

More people would complain to the SE if they cut the local golf results than if they cut the WNBA or Beckham stories.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

RBNY gets maybe 15k fans on a good day. For the Beckham game, over 50k tickets have been sold and likely at least 65k will attend. If the weather is nice, it could sell out. Good tickets are being scalped for big dollars..

I'd say that there is substantial interest.

10. poindexter

I understand that he's been hurt. It happens. I said in the first post that its nobody's fault. My point is that the Beckham signing and debut received the ESPN hyper-promotion, and its been a big fat zero.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

When Beckham signed the contract he wasn't injured. When ESPN began hyping his arrival he wasn't injured.

If your desire is to see David Beckham play then I will agree that you haven't been satisfied. If your desire is to see some well played soccer (which is what I would assume to be the reason you want to watch Beckham play) then the goal has been achieved.

12. poindexter

Do you have some sort of macro that automatically produces the blue font?

Draft saved Draft deleted