1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy swimmers race against girls in Mass. People not happy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If your son really really wants to play basketball, send him to a school with a boys team.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't think you're getting it. KP was calling you out on your ridiculous slippery slope argument that the next logical step is for boys cut from the boys varsity basketball team to demand to be included in the girls varsity basketball team.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why not? They're better basketball players, they should be on the team.

4. It's pretty simple: if there are separate teams playing the same sport, no coed competition. If there aren't, coed is fine. If a boy wants to play field hockey or volleyball, he should be allowed to play if he can make the team. In this situation, if boys swimming is not offered, tough for the girls, but you can't discriminate against the boys who want to swim like that. If it is offered, then make the boys compete against boys, girls against girls past the regular season.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This seems so simple. Why shouldn't the boys compete as independents? There's no reason they can't compete if there isn't enough other boys to field a team. Just have them compete in different heats during the postseason.

For me the question is what to do about coed relays. I think the only solution for that is to have a separate category if they want to compete for championships.

Draft saved Draft deleted