1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy swimmers race against girls in Mass. People not happy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I hope you don't have daughters.

Or sons, for that matter.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have both. My daughter is happy and my sons don't go out of their way looking for "competitions" they can win by sheer size disadvantage.

You, on the other hand, sound like one of the douche parents I mentioned earlier, the kind who doesn't give two shits about the rest of the world as long as your kid gets his.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is such a bullshit, arrogant comment. What boy would want to compete in this? It's insane.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I was referring more to the poster's random (and continued) personal insult toward me rather than his beliefs about the situation.

And why so much anger toward those who have differing opinions? Why not save that anger for the MIAA and the schools, which created this situation in the first place?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's fair, I'm not angered by the different opinions, if my son wanted to do it I would let him. I just hope he never does.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

What if your high school daughter wanted to compete in eighth grade sports? Would that also be okay?

To me, and I think some others in this thread, what should matter is the skill match-up. Boys swimming against girls is a clear disparity, whereas girls competing in boys' wrestling or football is not. If your school doesn't have that team for you, and there isn't a clear skill equivalent between the sexes, well, that's unfortunate. Most schools frequently don't offer every sport, and part of life is learning how to adapt to not getting what you want.

8. LongTimeListener

It is not so much an affront to masculinity as it is a complete bastardization of the laws that allowed girls these opportunities. A lot like the way people bastardize Martin Luther King's views on equality to argue against affirmative action or helping the poor.

And the purpose of a parent is not to make sure their kid gets everything they want and fuck everybody else. No it isn't.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Under the law, they're supposed to be treated as equals, regardless of the physical difference.

Amateur wrestlers who don't have legs, or who are blind compete. They don't get any rules changed for them. Yet, they have a physical difference. Gallaudet has a deaf football team. They don't have the rules changed for them.

Boys and girls should compete separately. If it's not possible, then the law says they can compete on different gender teams. It's not the boy's fault he has a physical advantage. Women want equality, which they absolutely deserve. But this is a consequence of the equality.

10. LongTimeListener

In matters of physical competition, nobody reasonable would argue with the idea that there are insurmountable physical differences that are a fact of life. A special, special female athlete can overcome those, but it isn't even worth factoring in as a matter of policy.

Really, as related to their impact, you might as well have let Danny Almonte finish out the Little League WS because he couldn't find a team of 14-year-olds to play for.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about the law, and honestly, neither were you. You were whining about girls being cheered if they beat boys while boys are attacked for winning in a girls sport.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the law is the basis on why boys are competing against girls, and vice versa. The law demands equal opportunity to play sports.

Yet, when girls are suddenly losing to boys, now the law is considered a bad law, when in reality, it has opened up many doors for girls.

Draft saved Draft deleted