1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy Scouts of America files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Feb 18, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How many parents/girls visit to learn about your BSA troop?

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This time of year is advancement time when kids go from Cub Scouts to BSA. I'd say this year we've had a good dozen looking and visiting the troop. We have a mild connection to a pack, so that's a lot of it, but there have been some from other places. We aren't actively recruiting right now other than girls (we need a few more for a viable girl troop), so that's a pretty decent number.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Back in the late 80s New Jersey, stayed in scouts almost all the way through high school. Our troop was basically a camping and hiking club.

Looking back on it now, I now realize an essential truth. Wives will let their husbands out of the house for the weekend time and time again if they're with their kids.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Very true.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

My son’s Eagle Scout ceremony is this weekend so what a wonderful backdrop with the news.

Agree on Pinewood Derby. The kids with engineering dads always win, anyway.

I wasn’t that pro-Scout when he was a Cub Scout at age 7 but he saw it through to Eagle. It’s a nice thing to have on college apps. I’m honored that he finished it.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I knew a couple guys who went through and became Eagle Scouts. When we all started Cub Scouts in 3rd grade or so, there were over 100.
    They were OK guys, a little strait-laced, but pretty cool.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I was in the Boy Scouts for six years. Never had a bad experience. Learned from some good scoutmasters. I feel awful that too many kids had the worst possible outcome to their experience. There's nothing wrong with the program or the message. Just the fucking assholes who perverted it, just like anything else assholes pervert.

exmediahack, misterbc and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted