1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy Killed While Playing 500

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

500 - for us - was always with a bat and a ball. The batter hitting high flys of different depths and the outfielders scrambling to get it. No line drives.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never heard of this game. The only game I played with a bat and ball was Pepper.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It can be fly balls, grounders or liners.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, we played something similar to this, too. A whiff was always an automatic out. Always.

Although I remember using 300 as the benchmark, not 500, because the flyouts/lineouts were worth -100, and you got three outs per "inning" (at-bat) ... or one swing-and-miss, of course. That also made for quicker rotations at the plate. Lotta three-and-outs in my neighborhood when I was pitching. ;)

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Madness? THIS IS BASEBALL!!!!!

[​IMG]

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr - I guess my sister must have made up the part about kids playing 500.

Did you invent this game or something like? You seem awful proctective of it.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

We played with football and basically threw Hail Marys to a group of 7-8 kids. The fight was on. You got 100 points for catching it in the air.

8. My favorite game was interception. Quarterback needed five completions to a receiver to win, while the defenders needed three picks to win. We eventually modified it to include touchdowns, which would give you a total of two points. Of course, it was tackle and the endzones were asphalt.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No joke, I got seriously hurt playing 500 I believe 36 years ago. However, it wasn't the game that caused the injury, it was the fact that we were playing on a field with an open (as in the cover was missing) sewer. As I was running for a fly ball, my leg suddenly was swallowed by the ground. Had a gnarly gash on my knee where you could see in to the bone, and because sewer water got into it, I caught this awful full-body infection that made me sick for almost a week. My white blood count was so low from fighting the infection that I had to undergo blood tests for a year to make sure it wasn't leukemia. Not fun days for an 11-year-old.

Oh, yeah, the worst part was missing the last four games of Little League season.

But if not for open sewers, I don't see any way a kid can get hurt bad -- much less killed -- playing 500.

BTW, anybody remember the game called Peggy? Pretty much the same game only with an inflatable playground ball that the "batter" punted toward the others.

10. When I was in middle school we played a game called "wall ball." A bunch of us would gather outside one of the school buildings and throw a tennis ball or rubber ball at the building's side. If the ball bounced before hitting the wall you had to haul ass and touch the wall. As you were running anyone could pick up the ball and bean you with it before you touched the wall (at which point you were safe and play resumed). If you were beaned three times cumulatively you had to stand in front of the wall facing your peers as each of them got a free shot at you. This was THE game to play.

11. I never heard of this game before this thread.
    Ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.