1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy Killed While Playing 500

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Pretty much, yeah, though I don't think we ever played with a bat. Throwing a ball is obviously a lot safer than batting it, at least for the fielders. Sounds like someone got too close to the batter to get the ball, because even without a bat, we all played pretty far from the thrower.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

we played with a football too -- and it was like a punt return with some folks preferring to hit people instead of going for the ball

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Come to think of it, we might have tried it with a football a couple of times too. We tried with a frisbee, but y'know, just no.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

That's how we played it... and it was a death scrum. Though the ball was dead if not caught on the first bounce.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We tried it once during a practice with my son's t-ball team this year but with the kids racing around looking up for balls and crashing into each other or falling down with other kids landing on top of them we figured it was just a tad too dangerous for this group.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We did it with a pitcher when we had enough. The batter moved to the pitcher's spot and then back to the scrum. No pitcher, you'd toss it and hit it. The rules vary slightly. But basically it was indeed 100 for a fly, 75 for a one bounce and so on. You could call others off but you'd get negative points if you missed and they stayed with you even when the batter changed. Everything else was reset to zero.

The pitcher was the only guy we had in the infield. Someone would have to hit a hell of a shot to kill someone.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

seems like the greater danger for injury is from the scrum . I can't imagine who the other kids must feel . Just a heartbreaking story .

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

We generally used a football. Only the person throwing would call out a number anywhere between 1 and 499. And there was a scrum, yes. It was like a full contact, free for all punt return.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this kid was the pitcher and didn't get the glove up in time.

Our version was different, the batter got the points. It was 50 for a grounder through the infield, 75 for a fly ball nobody caught and 100 for a HR (we always played on a smaller field so you could crank them out). Negative 50 for a foul, -100 for a caught fly and -500 for a swinging strike. You got five pitches per at bat, first to 500 wins.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is what I thought too once Moddy mentioned that there could be a pitcher.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In my neighborhood, we used to play a game called 900 and/or Zilch: You get a group of people at one end of a field or a yard or wherever, and one person on the other end, as the quarterback. The QB throws a football -- or a baseball, I suppose would work -- and calls a number in the air. When a person says a number, say 500, the pile goes after the ball and someone emerges with it, 500 points closer to the target total -- 900. The first one to 900 wins and becomes the QB. However, if zilch is yelled and someone catches it, they sit to the side for the next round.

And no one died from that game, at least not in my neighborhood.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I started playing 500 about 50 years ago and as far as I know, it's always been a toss and hit game with kids in the outfield.

And I played it with my kids about 10 years ago so I'm not sure it's changed in 40 years.

It's about the only version of contact baseball that I know of.

I've looked at a couple of stories about this and none of them mentioned that the kids were playing 500.

http://www.acorn-online.com/news/publish/newcanaan/21242.shtml

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/851839.html

Maybe Boom has a link we don't know about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.