1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy Killed While Playing 500

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anyone every hear of a game called 500 in relation to baseball? The boy was playing that game when he was hit in head with baseball.

What an awful tragedy:

A 13-year-old boy died Saturday afternoon when he was struck in the head by a baseball while on vacation with his family on Prince Edward Island, Canada.

John Alexander Leslie was in the field playing a game with a group of other boys at Red Point Provincial Park when he was struck around 11:30 a.m. Saturday.

His death was announced here in an e-mail from Saxe Middle School to parents of students Monday.

According to published reports from Prince Edward Island, family members performed CPR until emergency responders arrived.

Published reports quoting park officials said the family regularly visited Prince Edward Island each year.

According to the Canadian Press, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have ruled the death an accident.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We used to play a game called 500 Up. A batter would hit the ball to a bunch of fielders. Catch it in the air, get 100 points, one bounce 75, two bounces 50 etc. First to 500 is the next batter.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Same game, Huggy.

I'm trying to figure out why Boom posted this.

Maybe he wants 500 banned.

4. Boom_70

jr - true to form plays the ass hole.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't think he has an agenda at all here. Out of all the games I played as a kid, 500 would be among the very last I'd ever think would be able to kill anyone. This is just amazing.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom always has an agenda. If it had been posted by anyone else I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Or maybe he always thought Prince Edward Island was in the English Channel and wanted to share his newfound knowledge.

7. Boom_70

ok jr you caught me. My agenda is that my sister knows the family and is terribly crushed by such a sad story. She asked me if I ever heard of 500 which I had not . So I figured someone here could explain it. It does seem hard to fathom how someone could be killed playing it.

You can go back to being the asshole that you always are.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

What next? Run-down?

9. Boom_70

FHB - how does game work ? a batter hitting non pitched ball to other players? seems safe enough.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Jesus, jr, a 13 year old boy was killed playing with his family on vacation. Get the fuck over yourself already.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The way we played it, I'm shocked we DIDN'T kill anyone. We did it with a baseball, but it really found its groove when we switched from a baseball in a field to a volleyball in the pool. 100 points for catching the ball, 50 for retrieving it after it hit the water. Whoever got the ball was the next one to throw. 500 wins (duh). Of course, we always threw it so someone couldn't catch it, so they couldn't get the 100 points, and the person who eventually got the ball earned it. Like a rugby scrum. It was so brutal, if we played it now, we'd call it 300.

And I'd go apeshit to play it again right now.

12. Boom_70

So is it a free for all with fielders all battling for ball?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.