1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy dies returning from his dying wish, a bear hunt in British Columbia.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 12, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thank you, Rosie. Outstanding post.

While I've never hunted (or wanted to) myself, I grew up in the South and have nothing but respect for the people who do.

And I've had two car windshields that can vouch for deers being ... rats on hooves. :mad: :D

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Without hunters and fishermen, a whole of animals and habitat wouldn't exist. Ducks Unlimited has bought more than 11 million acres of wetlands and set them aside as duck sanctuaries. The sale of Federal Duck Stamps (required for waterfowl hunting) has raised more than $670 million and led to the conservation of more than 5 million acres.

Without outdoorsmen, there would be a whole lot less wilderness in the USA. We've helped wildlife much more than we've hurt it. For example, in the 1930s it was estimated there were only 300,000 whitetail deer in the lower 48. Now it's estimated the US herd numbers 30 million.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

And half of them live in my county! :mad: ;)

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Junkie, the story stated the bear meat was butchered and packaged. I fail to see where there's a problem.

5. Inky_Wretch

Maybe we should have an SJ members who hunt outing at your house.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Sure. Bring your own tents, campers -- and no beer drinking allowed in deer camp until sunset.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm so there, and I don't even hunt anymore, unless hanging out in the stand drinking coffee and watching Grandpa hunt counts.

8. Inky_Wretch

My rule is you can't drink more than two beers unless you're not hunting the next morning.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sometimes I wish other people understood why this was so funny.

But then I think, nah, genius is meant to be understood by only a few.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not overly fond of hunting, but I tend not to argue with people who carry knives and guns.

11. baskethead

baskethead Member

While I'm clearly against hunting, I will concede that sometimes for the sake of containing over-population, it's necessary. But shooting a bear to turn it into a rug doesn't fall under those guidelines.
    And I'm truly sorry to hear that those damn deer got in the way of your driving. What a bunch of inconsiderate assholes. And how dare they take a shit where someone might walk. Fuckers.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sure, it does. We gotsta stay warm, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted