1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy, 13, Killed, Six Others Wounded in West Side Shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 25, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The 3-year-old surely had gang ties:

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The one link you posted above is from the Chicago Tribune (national media), and recounted a vigil and rally in protest of the incident.

Other than that, I'll just repeat what we've learned in J school since the beginning of time: "If Charles Blow doesn't cover it, it just ain't news."

3. YankeeFan

LOL. Even if the Tribune could have been considered national media at one time, it no longer is. It's a shell of its former self.

And, it's covering a story in its local area of coverage.

The vigil and rally are also local.

Let me know when people outside of Chicago impoverished neighborhoods give a shit. Let me know when they care a fraction as much as they care about the random killing of a white college student in California, or the killing of a black teen by a white (Hispanic) guy in Florida.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You've never heard of the Gerber Mafia.

5. MisterCreosote

We've been over and over this. Coverage of violence changes once it becomes impossible to cover each individual incident.

Outside of that, I'm not sure why you have such a problem acknowledging that look-at-me blowhards with political agendas are going to opine about whatever they think will garner the most attention for THEM, and that is something entirely different than "media coverage."

6. YankeeFan

"The Media", the politicians, and the blowhards all say we need a "national conversation" about gun violence.

So, why don't they use instances like this to jump start them?

Why do they always focus on white, suburban victims, or black victims of white killers?

I think "The Media" is fearful of covering these issues. It's not easy. They can't simply demagogue. They can't find obvious bad guys like the NRA or a vigilante, wanna be cop. And, like Stephen A. Smith, they're not so sure all of the victims are innocent, and don't know how to say that.

So they ignore it all.

We get one story, one day, that just covers the basics.

No deeper thoughts. No national conversation. No mother's worst nightmare.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Poop Shooters are a much tougher organization.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You'd think ad reps would recognize a good thing and start selling ads around the police blotter there.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The community leaders prefer to criticize The NYPD and their highly
    successful policing methods. Al Sharpton can't make any money
    criticizing gangs but take on the NYPD and the money rolls in.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The premise that we've never had a national conversation about gang violence is almost too preposterous to address.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're telling us we should be up in arms about the media ignoring a 12-hour-old story that's on top of A-1 of the Chicago Tribune?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/

12. MisterCreosote

If MSNBC and the New York Times don't cover every homicide in America every single day, they're just hypocrites peddling a leftist agenda.

Also, if readers don't hold vigils in every city in America for every homicide every single day, they're just hypocrites peddling a leftist agenda.

Draft saved Draft deleted