1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boxing's biggest championship theft?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Man, I'd forgotten that beating. Thanks for the post friend o'.

2. boots

boots New Member

And for those who missed the first ass kicking, Pryor did it again a few months later. That ass kicking was worse than the first one.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pryor was an awesome talent and despite whatever it was that the despicable Panama Lewis was mixing in his water bottle that night he was at the absolute top of his game in the first fight against Arguello.

The sky was the limit for him after that, there was talk of a fight with Leonard at 147 (would have been a very interesting matchup) and a big-money fight with Ray Mancini (Pryor would have mangled him).

But Pryor went downhill after that first fight and I didn't think the second fight between him and Arguello had anywhere near the action or drama of the first one.

I was at Varsity Stadium here in Toronto when Pryor defended against local guy Nicky Furlano. Somehow a guy who wouldn't have lasted a round with him in his prime hung around for 15 dreadful rounds.

Hey, at least Arguello flattened the overrated Billy Costello.

4. boots

boots New Member

The Hawk (Pryor) was an awesome talent. Leonard wanted no part of him in is prime. Truth be known, Leonard didn't really want any part of Hagler in his prime. I think had their fight been held a year earler, Hagler beats his ass as if he stole something.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's Roy Jones, Jr. in Seoul and it's not even close.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pryor could be enigmatic. He beat Cervantes - a damn good fighter - for the title but was floored in the first by a nobody like Akio Kameda. I don't know if Leonard was ducking him. By the time Pryor fought Arguello the first time Leonard had already fought Duran twice, Benitez and Hearns, guys who were all-world fighters. Pryor wasn't a big man or a particularly physical fighter - he just threw many punches from so many angles that he overwhelmed oppoents - so I don't know how he would have made out against Leonard who could outbox a boxer like Benitez and stand to-to-toe with a bomber like Hearns.

Leonard wanted little to do with Hagler before his first retirement. He floated some bullshit about meeting Hagler halfway at 154 but Hagler wanted no part of that.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I was thinking he who shall not be named came back.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I was just talking about that punch two nights ago. Told a guy how Hearns tapped Duran with two jabs to the body and then unloaded the biggest right I've ever seen. I used to have that on tape and never got tired of watching it.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Idiot n00bs reading page 2540 in the forum and thinking replying would be a good thing.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Sweet Pea - JCC gets my vote. City of San Antonio would've burned if the Mayor of Culiacan lost a decision.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That was a HUGE right punch. I have seen few punches with that much force. Ray Mercer vs Tommy Morrison rivals that fight.

He could have killed Morrison in that fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted