1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boxing Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1012/boxing.hall.of.fame.2011.inductees/content.1.html

Mike Tyson is going to get inducted in the Hall of Fame in 2011. One surprising inductee will Sylvester Stallone. I wondering what the boxing fans think of having Rocky inducted?

Tyson acceptance speech should be "special"

Thoughts on the 2011 class?

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I agree with everything that you said, especially your thoughts about Stallone. Regarding the bolded part, if people don't know how electric Tyson was during his prime, then they don't know much about the sport of Boxing. Tyson was a machine for a lot of years, and was one of the most feared man on the planet during his prime.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge boxing fan by any stretch, but some of those classic young Tyson fights are amazing to watch. I don't know how people got into the ring with him. There was a real chance of permanent injury.

4. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Michael Spinks was one of those who never stood in the ring after stepping in with Tyson.

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

This knockout was so devasting.

The KO happens around the 7:10 mark, but I suggest you to watch the whole match.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It was too bad Spinks ended up losing like that. He was one of the great light heavyweights of all time, from a great era of light heavies with Dwight Quawi, Matthew Saad Muhammad, Eddie Mustapha Muhammad, etc.
    He's in the hall of fame himself and he deserves to be there.
    Tyson, Tszyu and Chavez is a solid group.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Threatening to eat the children of the electorate does wonders for one's candidacy.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A quick Tyson trilogy...

Maybe my favorite early-Tyson fight. Literally a one-punch knockdown, followed by the knockout at the 3:12 mark -- and that's followed by Tyson helping the guy up.

Then there's poor Trevor Berbick. Guy ended Ali's career, only to end up stumbling around like he'd just guzzled a gallon of tequila. The knockout is around the 5- or 6-minute mark.

Finally, the fight that REALLY marked the end of Tyson's aura of invincibility. ;D

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sylvester Stallone in the Boxing Hall of Fame? Oh, okay. I'm starting a campaign now to get Paul Newman into the Hockey Hall of Fame. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted