1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boxing Day — Anyone Plan On Shopping?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I have never in all my years on this planet ventured out on Boxing Day. I've either dined with family, in-laws or cousins. I've watched movies or recovered from hangovers. Never have I shopped.

That may change this year. All the reports I've read from my neck of the woods, and elsewhere for that matter, suggest sales are down. I'm expecting big time sales on Friday. I think I'm going to muster up the courage to go.

Anyone else heading out? What are you looking to buy?

I want an HD TV. Nothing too big, we're still in apartment. But I want one so bad and I expect them to be cheap.

That leads me to a second question: What would be considered a "steal" for a 32-inch to 42-inch HD Plasma TV?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You couldn't pay me enough money to go shopping on Boxing Day.

Besides, the World Junior Hockey tourney starts that day. :)

And a lot of retailers have "Boxing WeeK" sales so you don't have to rush out on the 26th.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

No. The only reasons I'll venture out in the next week or so is to pick up my new glasses (dammit! a mall!), to go to the gym, or to hang out with Claws on the 27th.

Otherwise, I'm home bound.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I need a TV for our new house, but as an American I am duty-bound to refuse to call the day after Christmas 'Boxing Day.'
    We call it 'the day after Christmas.'

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I know this is weird, but I honestly can't think of anything I need right now. I already have way too much clothes. I have a PS3. I got an HDTV last year. I have plenty of cycling stuff. . .I don't know. I'm at that point in my life where if I need something, I buy it.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That takes way too long to type!

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'll be in Canada and the only reason I'm going is for the hockey and to meet and hang with SportsJournalists.com folks. Shopping? If I do any shopping in Canada, it'll be for something hockey-related and likely at the team store only. Flash warned me about Boxing Day and I'm heeding her words.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

We'll hit the Fan Attic!

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, man, there's some great shopping in Toronto...

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I did none while I was there.

What? I'm going to pay provincial sales tax? Not friggin' likely.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You paid provincial tax on that beer at the Goose.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

DAMMIT! That's where all my money went!

Draft saved Draft deleted