1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Box scores/line scores for baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CharBroiled, Mar 12, 2013.

1. CharBroiled

CharBroiled New Member

We don't have enough space to run a full box score for baseball, often because we're trying to cram two doubleheaders into our weekly. How does everyone else run box scores or linescores?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You can run a line score, the pitchers (noting who won, lost and received a save) and the top hitters with their stats. That saves a lot of space.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That should suffice for high school regular season. I rarely do full boxes, except when two locals are playing for a Section title.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One thing I never understood: Why do so many short boxes list the catcher?

5. CharBroiled

CharBroiled New Member

Is it different for college baseball or in this case NJCAA DII baseball? Our town has no high school baseball. Only high school in this classification which doesn't have high school baseball.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You can run the boxes for any level of baseball in any format you want.

7. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

For high school and what college baseball linescores we run, we use score by innings and runs/hits/errors, then winning pitcher, losing pitcher and standouts for both teams. Originally standouts were supposed to be players with two or more hits, a home run or 10+ strikeouts by the pitcher. That's been our format pretty much forever for prep baseball, though pretty much anything might creep into the standouts these days..

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

We only run box scores for Southern Miss, which is our closest college. Everybody else gets a linescore, which for us is score by innings, runs-hits-errors, all hitters, winning/losing pitcher and all other pitchers. If they do something noteworthy, like drive in 3 or more runs or have 8 or more strikeouts, we'll add that in parentheses. For MLB, we run the Braves box almost every day, but others are on a space-available basis.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think semi-extended linescores work well, whatever format you want.

Unless you are covering the game yourself, I do not think a high school boxscore is worth it or accurate.

Even if you are covering the game, I wonder if it is worthwhile.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Our short box form:

Score by innings
    Multiple hitters, extra base hits.
    Records.

One thing I rather dislike about it is that it fails to include players who might have had a lot of RBIs. Not sure what the best fix for that might be.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just list RBI as well.

I've done something like this:

CRAP CITY 4, CRUD COUNTY 3

Crap 010 020 1 - 4 8 1
    Crud 200 100 0 - 3 5 2

Crap pitching: Jones 1.0 IP, 4H, 2 ER; Smith 4.0 IP, 3H, 1 ER (W, 5-2); Brown 2.0 IP, 2H, 0 ER (Sv, 4).
    Crap hitting: Johnson 2-4, HR, 2 RBI; Doe 2-4, 2R, RBI; Green 1-2, R, 2B, RBI, 3SB.
    Crud pitching: Young 7.0 IP, 8H, 3 ER (L, 4-4).
    Crud hitting: Ruth 1-3, HR, 3RBI; Gehrig 2-3, 2B; DiMaggio 2-3, 2B.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

RBI is a luck stat that doesn't indicate talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted