1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Box Score Trivia Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope. I guess my box is the new question, since I did get the Maloney question half-right.

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I had to break down and find that box score on retrosheet, but I have no idea what the importance is. I'm interested to see what the story is behind this one.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know the exact game and dates as well, but I cannot see anything happening on that day.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It was, to me, the high point of Ball Four, when Jim Bouton had just been traded from the Seattle Pilots to the Houston Astros. He had only started one game for the Pilots all year, on one day's notice, and had gotten rocked, and had spent a good part of the book trying to get another shot.

Then, a few days after getting traded to the pennant-contending Astros, Bouton was given a start and ended up striking out 11 Pirates, but lost, 4-2, in 10 innings. Strangely, though, he didn't start for the Astros again that year.

5. McCrank

McCrank Member

Boggs' 3,000th hit?
    [/quote]

It was, notable mostly because it was also his 500th home run.

6. Scouter

Scouter Member

It was, notable mostly because it was also his 500th home run.
    [/quote]

???
    Boggs didn't come anywhere close to 500 HRs. It was the first time someone's 3,000th hit was a home run.

Draft saved Draft deleted