1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowling's top boss has controversial vision

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lucas Wiseman, May 30, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Far from satisfied with the status quo, Dalkin has a clear - and some would say controversial - vision for the future of bowling.

He predicts the continued erosion of a membership that has been in decline for 25 years but doesn't stress about it, saying the USBC still needs to "thin the herd." The organization has 2.5 million members and the number eventually could fall below 1 million, Dalkin said.....

Instead of fighting for every member, the USBC will draw a "line of demarcation" between recreational bowling and competitive bowling. Such lines are understood in other sports....

"A lot of people say, 'You're telling bowlers they're not as good as they think they are,' " Dalkin said. "Well, yeah, that's what we're telling them."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=610089

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting line of thinking, though I wonder how his attitude will play with mainstream fans/players.

That being said, if decreases in "league" bowling truly come to fruition, it would free up more lanes for people who enjoy bowling for the fun of it. Some nights, it's impossible to get a lane because of all the freakin' leagues.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I, for one, support his vision. Because I suck at bowling.

I have never tipped over 200. My high was 181, but usually I'm in the 140 range.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I took a picture this winter when I broke 100 in a game with my boyfriend.

So fuck you, Bubbler! I'm just as bad as I think I am.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK, I'm not quite that bad, but I do get excited when I break 100 and my highest score ever is around 135, I think.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've never been able to master that spin ball the pros throw.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Webby, I think we both know that Dalkin's got a pretty accurate view of the problem.

I know that in the past, I was one of those guys deluded into thinking I was better than I was because I popped a few trophy scores.

And the fact is, with the lanes set up as they are in some places, you could walk in and have 4-5 boards worth of "cushion" on either side of your target, and still wind up in the pocket. Or you might not get lift on your shot, and it still holds line.

If the rank and file really wanted the weekly bowler to get a clear view of where he/she stands, they ought to set up the lanes with a PBA oil pattern one week a month. People would learn the truth in a hurry then. ;)

After all this, though, I don't know how much more media coverage bowling is going to get. I sure don't remember those "good old days" when bowling was one of the major coverage areas.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I probably bowled about 5 times total before this past semester when my friends and I started to go once a week. By the end of the semester I went from struggling to break 100 to throwing a 201 in one miraculous game. My second highest is a 163 so I'm thinking the 201 was an aberration.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Shotglass: I was the same way. I went through a league averaging around a 228, a few 3s, a few 8s and I decided to go one a couple of regional stops with one of my friend. I figured, maybe I'd get hot and shoot a score, otherwise I was guessing I could probably average a low deuce and stay competitive.

However, I got my feelings hurt real bad. By the second block, I dug out one my old Columbia white dots just begging to break 160. The league house shots, especially for a lefty like myself, are almost too easy.

I like Dalkin's vision and that's a great idea shot. Set up one of those ultra-competitive political men's leagues with a PBA shot one week and half those whiny bastards will quit before the third game.

Draft saved Draft deleted