1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowl Season Betting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bullwinkle, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Not sure if anybody out there bets the bowl games, but I bet all of them and, after having success in the first five games (assuming Troy hangs on), I'm thinking a losing streak is headed my way. So, here's to hoping SportsJournalists.com has some good cappers.

I'll post the line to the games as they pop up. Let's start with what's probably the toughest to pick. When making your pick, also give your reason.

Poinsettia Bowl:
    TCU (-3) vs. Boise State*

I'll take Boise because betting against Chris Petersen scares the hell out of me.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What is the over/under in the Boise-TCU game? Odds are that is not going to be a shootout.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If its not too late, get Southern Miss plus the 4 1/2 tonight.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

:-[

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'd take Hawaii and the points against Notre Dame on Dec. 24. I don't have as much faith in them as Xan did with them against Georgia last year (Hi Xan!), but it's a home game for the Warriors and they're 1.5-point underdogs.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you're betting bowl games other than Fla-Okla., you might as well bet NFL preseason games.

Bookies live for people like bullwinkle.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Back in the day, I never did have much luck betting bowl games. Too many variables involved: injuries, motivation, coaching changes, travel, etc. Just a crapshoot.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Miami (Fla) QB is to be held out of their bowl game.
    Saw on ticker over weekend.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Cal was going to whoop Miami anyway.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Completely disagree. I don't dabble anymore, but when I did the bowl games were always a good spot. The variables that Mark2010 mentioned are exactly the reason why. Start with motivation, then look at coaches, injuries and the matchups. I'd say a bettor with some brains has a much better shot at bowl season then the average NFL week, in part because those lines are so airtight. At the start of bowl season you can find some value, either by betting the first few games or by getting down early on the big games.

Draft saved Draft deleted