1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowl-eligible, yet should stay home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Being a bit of a fanboy, here, but if anyone says Cincinnati I'll have to execute with extreme prejudice. Got into this discussion earlier today with someone in the office. Sure, they could end up 6-6 with a loss to UConn next week (and an embarrassing one, at that). But of five current losses, four are to Top 10 teams on the road (OSU-1, a then No. 10 VaTech, No. 7 L'ville, No. 7 West Virginia). Wins, other than last night's over Rutgers, aren't that impressive (Eastern Ky, Miami OH, Akron, South Florida, Syracuse), but you gotta reward this kind of scheduling, I think.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Killick,

I'm seriously considering writing Tom Jurich to request that he send UC the Keg of Nails for its win against Rutgers last night.

For perhaps the first time in my lifetime, there are thousands of Louisvillle fans happy for their Big East brothers in Red and Black.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

6-6 Wazzu (losers of three in a row); either ASU and Arizona, one of whom will be 6-6 after it loses this Saturday, but still be bowl-eligible; and 6-5 (to become 6-6 on Dec. 2) UCLA.

Wazzu Couged it mightily down the stretch, with home losses to 3-5 (then) Arizona and 4-7 Washington. And ASU must be counted among the most underachieving teams in the country (an annual designation).

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been feeling the brotherly love from a parcel of L'ville fans I associate with. Hell, we were slapping each other on the back after the UC-UofL game (UC came so close, and the Cards respected that). Damn. Pretty soon, I'll be bending elbows with... gasp!... Xavier fans.
    Your guys gotta TKOB, tho. I think WVU will take care of the Knights for ya. Boy, that win in Morgantown looms large.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pitt beat Cinci pretty handily, 33-15. Pitt sucks. What I can't figure out is how the hell Rutgers beat Louisville.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Louisville has struggled on the road the last two years (USF, WVU, Rutgers).

8. Freelance Hack

Cincy caught Rutgers on the same emotional roller coaster that the Scarlet Tomato Cans Knights caught the Cards the week prior. Both teams came off emotional wins.

Only difference was Louisville jumped out to a big lead and Cincy's defense made big plays early on to keep Rutgers at bay.

The road has always been a problem for Petrino. Miami in 2004, West Virgina, South Florida, Virgina Tech (neutral field) and even Kentucky (where they almost blew a 28-0 lead) last year and Rutgers this year.

Even though I think Pitt is pulling a Michigan State on Wandstadt, I'm still concerned about this week's game.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Will there be enough 6-6 or better teams with all the bowls out there? The Big Ten comes up short for the Motor City Bowl, does it not?

10. Freelance Hack

I think the Big Ten needed Indiana to beat Purdue to fill out its complement of bowl bids.

It's likely now that one of the Big East teams will fill the Motor City spot.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How's this for an insult....
    Big Ten can't fill its allotment, SEC has one too many teams...

Alabama-Central Michigan, anyone?

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Eight of the Pac-10 teams are eligible, with only six bowl berths available. Seventh-place Washington State could end up in the Hawaii Bowl if USC plays in the title game and Arizona beats ASU.

Draft saved Draft deleted