1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowl announcement running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 7, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hope you're right, but I just don't see it.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, fuck that. I'd rather go to Orange Julius.

3. Do I have to sing "Dixie"? I mean, do I? C'mon, 3Bags, if an unreconstructed Yankee bastard can have faith...

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Remember, the reason we can't have a playoff is because the bowl system is too awesome to give up.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This is the system we have. The BCS bowls get to pick in a certain order, which can be tweaked based on who gets taken for the title game. The other bowls have agreements with major conferences that go deep into the standings. Otherwise, who chooses first? Who gets to grab the best matchups? The highest bidders? The ones with the biggest stadiums?

Then after all that, they figure out who will travel well. This year some bowls are also considering who can stay close to home, since the financial crisis means they're wary of asking fans to travel a long way.

Not every bowl game will be a great matchup. BCS honchos would like it to be, but once the national title game and the Rose Bowl became great matchups, who among the cornucopia of Alabama, Cincinnati, Utah and eligible wild cards would have produced a solid matchup?

Also, Don't fool yourself into thinking that coaches and fanbases don't write "BCS Bowl" and "January 1 Bowl" in big, block letters. High school kids know exactly what the BCS is, and they know exactly how much more prestige certain bowls have. Losses in BCS BOWLS don't seem to have hindered Onio State - or Oklahoma's - recruiting.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Well for any of you that might be traveling to the Capital One or Outback Bowls let me know. That's my neck of the woods.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Don't forget the St. Pete Bowl. You could have Webby come over.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

anyone see the actual numbers?
    Fox never showed them, as near as I could tell.
    Of course watching Fox's broadcast made my brain hurt.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't even sing Dixie. In fact, I find it quite embarrassing they sing that song no more than 300 meters from a statue of James Meredith.

As far as the game, I'd love to see them win, but I just don't think they can slow down that offense -- even with injuries.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think Boise is more deserving of a BCS bid than Ohio State, but I think Texas Tech is more deserving than either.

Tech's win over Texas is more impressive than Boise's undefeated record.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed.

But their system doesn't allow for actual thinking, so I never considered TTech's chances.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And don't tell me Tech fans wouldn't have traveled for a BCS game, either. That's BS.

Just a stupid, antiquated system.

Draft saved Draft deleted