1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bowl announcement running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Because YOU! are not the only person watching the bowls.

There is a certain amount of prestige to certain bowls played at certain times. January 1 on national TV is a massive showcase for recruiting, compared to late december. And especially compared to some of the games relegated to the NFL Network.

But of course, you already know all that.

Also: I wish Boise State could have gotten Ohio State's spot. They need to allow for two undefeated non-BCS conference teams.

I'll be watching every single bowl game that finds me near a TV.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Boise/TCU in the Poinsettia will be a good one.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

zzzzzz

sooners-gators is the only bowl game that matters.

5. I don't know, 3Bags. Mississippi has played pretty well against quality opponents -- beating Florida in Gainesville is the Win Of The Year, and they gave Alabama the toughest run they had in the regular season -- and the Tech bubble may have burst for good in Norman. Depends a lot on the Reb QB.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Piotr, do you honestly think ratings for the Orange Bowl will be GOOD? Or for the Fiesta Bowl for that matter? That high school football players are more impressed by a game on Fox in prime time on January 2 than a game on ESPN in prime time on December 30?
    You're a fan. Cool. I'm a fan. But there's a surplus of bowls, so picking and choosing is the way to go.
    And I don't think it'll do much for Tressel's recruiting if they get vapo'ed again in a BCS bowl.

8. I figure Texas about 35-3 by halftime.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I want to see Fatboy George sell that Florida Atlantic-Central Michigan matchup to a economically depressed Detroit area.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When Boise State generates the money, fan support, and spotlight that Ohio State does, they'll go to a BCS without being forced on them.

These bowls aren't about football or competition or deciding which team or conference is better. It's all completely 100% about money and who can generate the most. Ohio State will generate more than Boise. Since the BCS is already forced to take Utah, Boise can have fun elsewhere.

And I say that as a Boise fan in general. But not one single thing matters to the bowls after money. Boston College would be in the Eagle Bank Bowl if the ACC didn't mandate no ACC Title game team fall no further than Nashville.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The same thing, though on a slightly larger scale, that happened to Alabama last night will happen to Ole Miss. Secondary just won't hold up.

12. Held up pretty well against Florida -- not great, but good enough to win -- and Tech's banged up at the skill position.
    Hey, I think my son's being in grad school down there is rubbing off.

Draft saved Draft deleted