1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bow to your robot overlords

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Sep 30, 2011.

1. A movie about robot fighters, and now this gem http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/robots-steal-reporters-jobs/230150/

I don't know if any of you have checked out friscofan.com. The computer generated 'gamers' are sparse and short, but a definite improvement over the 'briefs' that highsports.net includes. How much longer until newspaper websites have blank templates you fill in with stats and a machine cranks out the briefs.

I was contacted by a service that offered to do this a few years ago, but I think they were ahead of the times because the rudimentary technology available at that time made the briefs comically bad.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Already been done:

[​IMG]

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You note it, and I guess the technology advances make this something new, but this was being done at some level when I was at my LAST job, and that was 14+ years ago.

4. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Reading the Frisco Fan site, it's pretty much garbage when you expect more than just the basics. For example, the last story of the year makes not mention of the season being over for the Giants.

However, if you figure out a way to do this for prep briefs, it's quality wouldn't be too much worse. Three parapraphs with a hero lead could easily be cranked out quickly by a computer. You just feed in the box score information. If you can find a way to automate the box score collection, this would save a ton of time. It's not advanced enough to replace a real gamer, but if I were a prep call-in clerk, I'd be very afraid.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I think this is how Skynet got started.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And Skynet got pissed off from all the complaints from the JV parents, so they decided to take over the world.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

All the little Jimmies and Jennies played just as hard as the varsity, dammit.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

They work just as hard, damnit! If machines take over all of the work, who's going to have disposable income to buy anything spit out by a machine?

9. SpockPuppet

SpockPuppet New Member

Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You get complete and utter respect from me for referencing a 43-year-old episode of Star Trek.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708481/quotes

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Geez, I just took another look at your screen name. No wonder. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted