1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bow ties

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Jan 22, 2014.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

"No" to bow ties.

There's a news anchor who is a friend of mine in another market who has taken to wearing them. I wince because, when I see him, all I see is the "bow tie". I don't hear what he's saying. I'd much rather be known for writing a sharp lead-in to a story than "the guy in the bow tie".

My litmus test on bow ties:

Don Draper wears a tie.

Harry Crane wears a bow tie.

Which one are you?

Look the best within the traditional contexts of fashion. I've found that garners the most respect. Once you're 63 or you're the head of a company, wear an ascot (which I do like to wear to weddings). Until then, leave the bow tie to the guy content to be mediocre.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Bow ties suck for everything but a tux
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nope.

[​IMG]

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Like everything there's a spectrum of possibilities; you want to make a bow tie look stupid? Sure run up the little kid with the loose tie and wide neck space on his neck, or the way too small, likely clip on that Pee Wee's sporting.

But if you get a nice silk bow tie, tie it correctly (nice and even), coordinate it with the rest of your outfit (suit, shirt), now you're talking.

I don't think 40-55 is an awkward stage at all, actually that's the sweet spot when you've got the confidence to do whatever you want.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just say no to bow ties, bad trend.
    Still only should be acceptable as formal wear.

I've got to jump in on this, though:

I've worn glasses for more than 20 years, and I've never considered them a 'yoke.'
    I don't really like them or dislike, they're just necessary for me.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Plus, wearing glasses has the added advantage of reducing the chances of glaucoma, per a Johns Hopkins University study of watermen out on the Bay who were getting a double whammy of sun exposure (direct and that reflected from the surface). Glasses absorb UV, thus preventing the UV from getting into the eyes and causing glaucoma.

So, here is to our eye health instead of vanity!

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is good news.
    Combine that with all the pot I smoked as a kid and young adults, plus my complete lack of any family hisotyr of glaucoma = good eye health

Best news I've had this week.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How could anyone say glasses can't be trendy?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That is one of the few if ever, I've seen look good with a bow tie. I stand corrected.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If you run, play soccer, do any kind of farm work, are crawling around under cars, or just want to be able to see the alarm clock, I call glasses a yoke. As for the sun exposure, I wear sunglasses all the time, so I'm not worried about that.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's hilarious that someone who wears ascots laughs at bow ties. I mean, you'd only get away with it if you thought hanging out in a private men's club, smoking cigars and drinking Courvoisier was the height of sophistication. And you'd have to be at least 85 to wear one.

Draft saved Draft deleted