1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bow ties

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have about a dozen but don't wear them anymore since I rarely get dressed up for work. Used to put them on all the time.

They don't have to be tweedy and if you wear them with confidence they're cool.

And yes, bow ties are chick magnets :)

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I can't wait until bow ties are unfashionable again.

And folks, I was wearing glasses long before the hipsters made them cool.

And I'm a nerd.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bow ties have never been unfashionable. Only the annoying self absorbed hipsters think they're either ironic or cool.

And glasses are, you know, mostly necessary. Wearing them as a fashion statement is kinda cool, I guess, or pathetic. Take your pick

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As someone who wore glasses/contacts for nearly 20 years, there is nothing cool about either. If you've ever worn that yoke, you'd never wear a pair just because you think they look cool or something. Laser surgery was the best money I've ever spent.

As for the bow ties, I agree that they have never been out of style. It's all about how a man wears one. The swagger is that you are confident enough to wear one when people make similar comments to the ones earlier in this thread.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup. If you wear one like you're the cock of the walk, you're OK.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's the rare person who doesn't feel conflicted when considering a bow tie.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As to which bow tie to wear? Absolutely.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you're under 40 and wear a bow-tie other than with a tuxedo or as part of a costume, you're probably a shitty person.

If you're over 55, you can wear whatever.

I imagine 40 to 55 is an awkward period in life as far as fashion. You are too old to try to seem hip but too young to not give a fuck.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good to know I no longer have to give a fuck, I suppose.

10. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Are you fixing popcorn? Are you frying chicken? No? Then take off the fucking bow tie.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not even 40 yet and I don't give a fuck.

I went to the store the other day in pajama pants and a puke-stained undershirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted