1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bow ties

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Does anyone else wear bow ties? I never did until a year or so ago but have kind of developed a swagger to wearing one. Here is a quote I have found and like:

"To its devotees the bow tie suggests iconoclasm of an Old World sort, a fusty adherence to a contrarian point of view. The bow tie hints at intellectualism, real or feigned, and sometimes suggests technical acumen, perhaps because it is so hard to tie. But perhaps most of all, wearing a bow tie is a way of broadcasting an aggressive lack of concern for what other people think." —Warren St John, The New York Times

I sort of fit this bill. I'm certainly old school and a historian. It's a throwback. I'm dang sure contrary. I am a teacher with a masters, so I can feign intellectualism. :D
    Most of all, I'm down with the part about having a lack of concern for other people think.

I don't wear one (or any tie) frequently, but will when the mood arises, I break one out. Self tie only. I don't wear clip-on regular ties, so I certainly wouldn't wear a clip-on bow tie. That's part of the swagger.

What say ye?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't think they help you get laid.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is that what a bowtie conveys?

Sure seems to me like a conscious effort to be fashionable nowadays.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Maybe in urban areas or something, but in the rural South, it's extremely rare. That's what I like about them, they are a throwback to the rural South more than a century ago.

As for getting laid, I haven't slept with anyone but my wife in going on two decades -- nor do I have any plans to -- so I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Not for guys with neck fat. I'm out.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Joe, bow ties are great. Go to thetiebar.com and load up. That's where I get most of mine.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think they're a cheesy affection that reeks of faux. But whatever blows your skirt up.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Effete demonstration of ... what? It's a clown tie, bro.
    How can you have "swagger" when it's "fusty" or "feigned"?

But: What do women think of bow ties?
    That might be a better question.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Bow. Ties. Are. Cool.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you have the build and can pull them off - they're great. Back in my skinnier 80s, I wore them some. Now in my husky 2010s, I don't. Little tie, big ol' expanse of shirt? Doesn't work.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I wear them occasionally. I don't wear a tie too often, but when I do, it's generally a bow tie. My formal Army uniform requires one, so this spring I decided to go against the clip on and tied my own. Since then, I've worn them to a couple of weddings and to a NYE party in New Orleans.

I like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted