1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bourbon, etc.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 29, 2014.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Some prefer the term more spicy. But yes, rye is not generally as smooth as its corn-based cousin.

2. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I had a glass of Old Scout 7 year last night while waiting for a take out item at the rec of the bartender. Really enjoyed it.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Red Stag, but I'm a low brow guy.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Went to dinner with a client recently and for fun we did a blind taste test of 3 bourbons, low-, med-, and high- priced. I mixed up the high and low ones but got the mid one right.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what were the three?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

A dropped a full, newly opened fifth of Wild Turkey on Saturday evening.

It was tragic.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Not a big bourbon drinker so I forgot. It was fun while it lasted though.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Any room on this thread for high-end rums?

I have some Mount Gay Extra Old that is an outstanding sip. It's almost too good to mix with Coke, but it mixes really well with the Coke.

I was out with a friend on Friday night and they didn't have any Mount Gay or Appleton Estate, but they did have Pyrat, which I've had before. On this particular night, I had it with Coke and it was outstanding. I'd just take small sips and let it sit under my tongue for a second. You could taste the sweetness so well. A bit of a citrus and oak bouquet to it. The night before, at home, I poured just a bit of the Mount Gay Extra Old into a glass and sipped. Having read on this thread how someone puts just a splash of room-temperature water in his bourbon, I'm thinking about trying that tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted