1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bourbon, etc.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 29, 2014.

1. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Maker's Mark is great but also one of the bigger up sales in bourbon. Four Roses' standard is almost as good and much cheaper.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think that Maker's Mark is the end-all like some, but I'm surprised you'd make that comparison, considering Four Roses Yellow Label is 80 proof and Maker's is 90 proof. I just think that makes an enormous difference. Any 80 proof, even a mid-shelf 80 proof like Four Roses, adds water, and you can tell.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Love Weller's as an economical, quality bourbon. I like Maker's but would drink Weller's when given the choice.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They all add water, unless marked as cask-strength.

I personally prefer my bourbon with a splash of water anyway. It brings out the complexities.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Can I ask a really stupid question from a novice -- I have a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon, which I like. What is the difference between that and the Bulleit Rye in terms of taste?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right. Which is why a lot of people drink it on the rocks, for example.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This probably demeans the topic, but my brother-in-laws and I polished off a bottle of Nashville-made Peg Leg Porker Tennessee Straight
    Bourbon over the weekend. I generally dislike Jack Daniel but I rather liked the Peg Leg.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Blanton's is nice. Ask three bags.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It damn sure is. Thanks, again, for that.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No. Ice makes it cold, which masks flavors (and the burn of the alcohol). A splash of room temperature water opens up the aroma and thus enhances the flavor.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Rye whiskey is coarser.

Draft saved Draft deleted