1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bourbon, etc.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's Derby week, so as an adjunct to YF's cocktail thread, let's talk Kentucky's finest export.

I've been slowly building up a little collection:

Woodford Reserve
    Elijah Craig 12
    Four Roses Yellow Label
    Knob Creek 100
    FEW Bourbon
    Maker's Mark
    Michter's Small Batch
    Wild Turkey 101

Others:
    Crown Royal
    Chivas Regal 12
    Jack Daniels
    Bulleit Rye
    Jim Beam Rye
    Jameson
    Glenlivet 12

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My favorite in a Manhattan: Bulleit Rye.

My favorite on the rocks: Knob Creek.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I got to try Pappy last weekend at a wedding. It was as good as advertised.

Weller's 12 is my go-to now. Smooth, no bite to it at all.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Because I'm poor, I stick with Maker's Mark. If I regularly spent more money on alcohol, it would be for a good bottle of Woodford Reserve.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Pappy Van Winkle Power Rankings (of the ones I've tried):

1. 20-year
    2. 23-year
    3. 12-year

Not had the rye yet.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We had the 23. Then shifted to the cheaper Weller and emptied the host's bar.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Elijah Craig 12 every day. Blanton's when I get fancier. Bulleit Rye in heavy rotation too.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Angel's Envy, the brand Lincoln Henderson started before he died, is a good one.

Those of you who go with Maker's as your affordable, everyday bourbon should try Buffalo Trace.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Can't afford the Pappy Van Winkle quite yet, or at least, I have to wait until after the wedding to spring for it. Currently, I've got my Bullet Rye, Jack Daniels and Gentleman's Jack on the bar. However, the bourbons are flanked by a nice collection of Irish whiskeys. I've got Jameson, Bushmill's Irish Honey and my new favorite, Red Breast 12 year. I also have some McCellans? 12 -year scotch.

Surprisingly, one of my favorite whiskeys is one of the cheaper ones on the shelf. I have some Canadian Club 12 year, Canadian Club 18 year reserve and some Canadian Club Sherry Cask (best of the bunch). All are under $20. Also a big fan of Crown Royal Maple.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My Mother-in-Law is national sales manager for Four roses. I'm a single barrel guy myself.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Not sure if they sell it outside Kentucky, or at least that's the only place I've seen it, but Town Branch from Lexington is a pretty good stand-in for Maker's at roughly the same price point.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Posting here only so that it will be somewhat "bookmarked" in my history. So I can easily find it later. Personally not a bourbon drinker, but buy some for someone else often.

Draft saved Draft deleted