1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bottle Flipping

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Oct 3, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Those of you who have teens and pre-teens are probably up on this, but I never heard of this, until I read this last night:

It's freaking hysterical.

Then I saw this:

And then I looked up the original flip, and his appearance on Colbert:

My wife is the most competitive person you'll ever meet, so when I told her about bottle flipping, and showed her the videos, she insisted I buy a couple of bottles of water when I went out for lunch.

So, far, I'm the reigning champ between she, her sister, and me.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I saw the original high school video when it hit Deadspin and couldn't stop laughing. What a showman. My niece challenged me at bottle flipping when we were on vacation, and it really is shockingly fun and incredibly satisfying when you land one.

That video with the bottle landing on top of the other bottle is amazing.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The talent show bottle flip is my favorite internet thing this year. I've probably watched it a dozen times.

When I showed it to my girlfriend, she just shook her head and said "Boys are so dumb."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My son will not walk past a bottle holding any amount of liquid without trying this.

He comes home and tells me about the best tricks pulled off at lunch.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was thinking your son was the right age for this based on the Globe article.

I flipped a few more after dinner. Nailed one after about five tries.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

When I'm covering a prep football, I see kids complety losing their minds over this. Thought it was harmless fun until I happen to be in a school during the day and two kids tried flipping a bottle on to a ledge along the roof. The teacher I was with lost his shit and haulled the kids into the office. Apparently kids got a whole row of bottles on the ledge and the custodian had to get them all down. Gge teacher said the campus is littered with bottles and the school has banned the practice. I can think of far worse things however for the kids to get into.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Is this the new cup stacking thing that kids seemed to be obsessed with a few years ago?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ultimate winner will flip a gigantic bottle of ice-cold water so that it lands on a ledge above someone trying to get out of donating money to ALS.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is pretty definitive proof that the world has passed me by.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm going to flip a bottle dressed like a clown and destroy the internets.

bigpern23 and justgladtobehere like this.
  11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be kind of cheating?

Those great big shoes would make it a lot easier for the bottle to stand upright.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted