1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOTL - NBA Writer, Vancouver (WA) Columbian coming up

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I follow Portland sports talk radio quite a bit, and Jaynes is always on the main station there ... still plugged in with his sources, apparently... apparently Vancouver decided to go in a different direction.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Congratulations to Smith, who apparently has ties to the area and is familiar with some of the people there.

Off topic, but I really was wondering about the likelihood of moving cross-country these days. Just the logistics of it all. I know it's not out of the ordinary in this business, but it's still a major (and expensive) pain in the ass.

3. spud

spud Member

Did this for my current gig, all 2100 miles of it. Left some stuff I didn't need in a storage unit, crammed everything else into my car and a UHaul trailer and humped it through seven states. The trailer was the biggest pain in the ass and of course the money part of it (luckily some of my move was comped), but it was a pretty cool feeling being out there On The Road, a little Kerouac-ian even.

4. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I certainly do not know Smith, but I did talk to him once, and he was quite professional. Congrats to him.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, that's what I wondering. Looking at a long-distance move and wondering the best way financially and logistically to handle it.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

7. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I'm looking at a long-distance move as well. Does the paper you're moving to give you monetary relocation assistance? If not, I noticed that Budget is about half as expensive as UHaul is, for what it's worth...

Draft saved Draft deleted