1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOTL - NBA Writer, Vancouver (WA) Columbian coming up

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh. I'm simply horrified. Horrified I tell you to make such a mistake.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

As a former police reporter, I can confirm this... :D

3. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

I'd like to travel to road games in California if it were my gig but agree with the comment that this is probably the best job to open in 2009.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

OK, so let me get this straight. The company is bankrupt and its new building is about to be foreclosed on. Circulation has dropped 11 percent in six months and the staff has been cut. You don't travel with the team you cover, not even in the playoffs.

And this is the best job to open in 2009?

God help this industry.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

All of that is very true. Heck, we're even seeing metros cut back on travel now. If they can get stringers or content share, it's just the cost-efficient thing to do.

The Columbian is a good paper and it'll be a good gig for someone. I'd apply but I loathe the NBA, so for me to spend winters covering that would be a fate akin to swine flu.

6. esport12

esport12 Member

On a lighter note, what's the over-under on the number of applications for this gig? 300?

7. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

I would go with over on that one

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ding ding ding - THe Pipeline reports we have a winner:

Brian T. Smith from the Bristol (Va./Tenn) Herald Courier was just hired on the Blazers beat. Great guy; great reporter. Won a couple APSE's the last couple years in Bristol. He got his start in Vancouver, so the staff was already familiar with him and he had established a very good reputation. Definitely helped him because he beat out Lew Friedman (formerly of the Chicago Tribune) and former Oregonian columnist Dwight Jaynes to land the job. He's earned the job. Busts his ass every day and has a greater desire to learn and improve than anybody I've ever seen.

9. sportsguydave

Congrats to the winner. I applied for this one, but sounds like I was a bit out of my league... :)

I grew up in Portland reading Dwight Jaynes. Now I guess I can say I was rejected for the same job with him.

Any word/idea if Bristol will replace Mr. Smith, Moddy?

10. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Sounds like a good hire. I'm amazed about the Jaynes thing. He's been running a good personal blog since he unexpectedly left the Portland Tribune (which he helped found) last year. Has solid sources within the organization ... But this would have been his fourth paper within the market. I don't know, just seemed odd that he would apply.

11. sportsguydave

I was very surprised by that too, Harry. Appparently, blogging doesn't pay the bills ...

12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Guess not. Don't mean to badmouth, Dwight, though. Great dude. Great journalist. And he lives on a houseboat. How badass is that?

Draft saved Draft deleted