1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOTL - NBA Writer, Vancouver (WA) Columbian coming up

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Get your stuff ready if you want to cover the Trail Blazers and be on the lookout for an official posting.
    An old bud of mine is leaving this paper so he and his wife, who recently had their first child, can get back east closer to family.
    They're going to fill, and post soon. There will be a short window, like two weeks, where they will accept stuff.
    So be ready.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Isn't this place in or near bankruptcy, with an albatross of a new building? You do get the no state income tax benefits of Washington and the no sales tax benefits of Oregon, though.

3. spud

spud Member

Tighten those belts.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003959941

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Hendrickson's out, eh? too bad. he actually made the columbian's blazers coverage relevant.

5. Moderator1

Brian's a good egg. Known him a long time. Busts his ass.
    But he and his wife are a long, long way from home.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Brian is a great guy and a heck of a journalist. Big shoes to fill.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

What kind of background would you typically need for a gig like this??? I know they often look for someone with pro beat experience ... but hell .. everyone who covers a pro beat was new to it at some point.

8. spud

spud Member

The pool of candidates will dictate this more than anything. It'd be nice to think they'll hand it off to a promising badass looking to crack into the pros full-time, but lets be real. How many ex-pro writers are diluting that pool right now? Not a good time to try and move up the ladder, as it were. Either hope somebody fortuitously yanks your clip file out of the pile and is immediately in love or you were already at the top of the heap. I'll bank on the former because I'll be sending my materials via candygram, but not everybody will be so lucky.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

Not saying that they wouldn't go with an ex-pro beat writer, but the promising badass absolutely stands a shot there. Financial issues aside, this is a nice gig. The Jail Blazers are no more. You now have a good, young team that knows how to behave. No more Rasheed. No more Bonzi. No more pitbull fights. Seems like a good time to be covering them.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is this the guy who used to work in Wilmington, NC?

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

I believe so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Moderator1

Draft saved Draft deleted