1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Both Teams Played Hard, My Man - Rashweed Retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Having someone on your team who will decide in the middle of a game to tank because he doesn't like the coach (usually because he doesn't like the COLOR of the coach) is worse than having Refrigerator Perry as your starting point guard.

Worse than a bust, a cancer, and a malignant colon cancer at that. Something you needed to have removed from your body ASAP.

Those teams that didn't, lived to regret it.

2. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

The record of his being a legitmately bad guy seems well established, and yet Dean Smith, whose word on things like this carries some weight, said he was a "joy to coach" in college. Did something happen to him? Was Smith just that good at handling people? I've always wondered about that.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You definitely didn't hear about him being a bad guy in college, really at all...

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Could be a combination of a couple of things:

1.) Having more money, power and influence than you've ever had before doesn't always bring out people's best qualities.

2.) Dean Smith was full of shit sometimes.

5. Starman

The fact that Sheed was actively trying to throw games to get Flip Saunders -- and then Michael Curry -- fired was one of the "Truths You Dared Not Speak" around the franchise for about five seasons.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Coaches love to talk about players who they previously coached who go nuts elsewhere and make it sound like, "Well, I was such a great coach, that I never had any issues with him." or "He respected me sooooo much, that he would never have pulled any of that..."

7. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I understand that about former coaches praising their former players and trying to make themselves look good; my point was only that Dean Smith was so highly respected that it was perhaps a bit more meaningful coming from him, particularly since he didn't have a reputation for hyperbole like most coaches.

I have no doubt that Rasheed has treated and continues to treat people horribly, simply because he can; I just think the full story is probably pretty interesting.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

304 technical fouls.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Good player, but not the kind of guy you could (or should) hitch your wagon to. Hard to believe he played under Dean Smith.

10. Starman

And 3,000 others that could and should have been called, but weren't because the refs said, "If we throw Rasheed Wallace out of the game in the first 90 seconds, he will claim we are 'out to get him.' "

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Ball don't lie."

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

This made me a 'Sheed fan...

No way did he have a disappointing career. Very talented, won a title, did it his way. Love him.

Draft saved Draft deleted