1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Both Teams Played Hard, My Man - Rashweed Retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 17, 2013.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Rasheed Wallace announced his retirement today.

An amazing talent with a ten-cent head.

Where does Rasheed rank among disappointing careers in your mind?

I thought he was going to be one of the best forwards ever but he morphed into this angry guy who got technical fouls and wanted to settle for jumpers rather than get on the block.

He is like Derrick Coleman, minus about 250 pounds.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But he redeemed himself quite a bit by finding a role on the Pistons championship team. Not lazy, just crazy.

My favorite story had to be him throwing the ball full court after practice and nailing an unsuspecting teammate in the nuts, then laughing with yet another teammate (I think it was Darius Miles who was his partner in crime).

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He helped win the title in 2004 (when he knew, or certainly had been told by his agent, that if he didn't get his shit together and start playing ball he would be waived out of the league and playing for dime bags in the Guatamalean Basketball Association), but he also helped lose it in 2005, when with 3 seconds left in an elimination Finals game against the Spurs, he decided he didn't feel like doing what ole whiteboy Larry Brown was telling him (i.e., guarding Robert Horry), so he decided to leave Horry all alone for a game-and-series winning 3-pointer.

Nobody gonna tell Sheed what to do. You showed him, bro.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I think Darius Miles actually became an all-star in the Guatamalean Basketball League.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He played a key role on an NBA Champion and was on two or three other teams that reached the finals.

He was a very good defender, rebounder and shooter from the outside and from the baseline.

I always thought he was underrated as a pro.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Umm, nowhere near the list at all.

Wallace lasted until he was 38 years old, was a four time All Star, started on an NBA championship team, on three NBA Finals teams, and ranks on the NBA all time career number lists in several statistical categories.

Some folks around this place have quite the loose definition of "disappointing." Sheed's career ain't even in the conversation of the NBA's all time disappointments.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Is Rasheed Wallace a Hall of Famer? [ND Journalist]

8. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

He and Stackhouse made for a dominating 1-2 for the Tar Heels. Had each stayed four years, they could've joined up with Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison when those guys were freshmen.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He also worked to actively throw games to get rid of at least two Pistons coaches.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He was nuts, but he was not a bust.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm sure that would have worked great, they would have scored 100 points a game with zero assists. Damn Wallace and Stackhouse for leaving when they were top five picks.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nowhere even remotely close to being a bust, especially in the NBA where players go from being lottery picks to playing in Turkey on a pretty regular basis...

Draft saved Draft deleted