1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Both Obama & Clinton want to renegotiate NAFTA. Why?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you hosers would just take back Celine Dion all would be forgiven.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I insist that they take Nickelback back too.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Agreed. They lick more ballsack than an army of golden retrievers that have just swum across a sea of beef broth.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Christ. Define your ideas about whether free trade is good or bad however you'd fucking like. I wasn't attacking you or putting you down or creating any strawmen or even arguing with you. How I characterized what you posted wasn't even the fucking point.

But you'll even parse an innocuous statement to come up with a reason to be snarky. I take it back. You simply believe that my wishing for freer trade is "a recipe for longterm, systemic poverty for half the free world." No hosts. No evils. Just your approved syntiax of "a recipe for longterm, systemic poverty for half the free world."

Is all forgiven, poobah?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And we want Lorne Green's body back, too. We made him famous, we're keeping him.

6. The Big Ragu

Ya'll are wasting too much mental energy on the country. They did edge up a bit to 7th on the IMD list of Most Competitive Nations last year--behind such powerhouses as Denmark and Iceland. So maybe it is time to be taking them a bit more seriously. But in the over 20 million in population category, they were passed by Australia, a country that prides itself on being a nation of slackers.

Celine Dion and Nickelback might be the country's biggest assets. The polite thing to do is pretend that you like them and thank the country for its contributions to the world. And let them keep Lorne Green's body, for God's sake. The expense of getting the proper legislation passed to export his remains could fund another middle eastern war, jg.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

OK. But I hope they don't expect "Bonanza! The Musical" to stop in Toronto when it's in out-of-town tryouts. They'll have to come down to New Haven.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

All I know is that to even ship a paper clip to Canada you need to complete a ridiculous amount of documents. Its easier to ship to Europe.

Canada's rules are still very restrictive.

9. The Big Ragu

But at least their citizens are polite people... without exception.

10. One thing I do know -- they're not spending a trillion dollars a year on a useless war the cost of which their government doesn't even have the stones to put on the national budget. They're not completely in hock to the Chinese. And they never, ever bit for the crackpot theories of supply-side economics. That's thrtee things they have going for them.
    The three-for-a-quarter chatauqua Look-At-My-Econ-Grade lectures are insufferable even without the passive-aggression. With it, they reach anew high in pathos.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, Boom, do you ever post a single thing where you actually know what you're talking about?

Let me give you a hint on shipping crap to Canada. One piece of paper is all you need and I suspect that even you could figure how to fill the document out in about two minutes. Or maybe less if 21 explained the difficult bits.

Try this:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/ci1/

Oh, and I'm still waiting for proof--any proof-- on this statement:

NAFTA is a "2,000 page document that promises to eliminate hundreds of tariffs and trade barriers--most of which the document itself created"

I'm patient. I can wait,

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr jr the fuckin NAFTA czar.

Shipping to canada is a pain in the ass . If all i's are not dotted and T's crossed your product will sit forever. The other thing that sucks is the need to pay a customs broker in addition to the shipper.

Free trade my ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted