1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Both gun bills fail in the Senate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How about when someone uses the term common sense you can criticize them for using the term, Dick.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As I understand it, gun manufacturers do the vast majority of their donating to the NRA. Smith and Wesson, for example, gave only about $25,000 directly to candidates in the last cycle, but its support of the NRA ran into the millions. You could make a credible claim that the NRA's not really a gun owners lobby so much as it's a gun manufacturers lobby.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Go to Google News and type "common sense" and "background checks" in.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

MSNBC has a Newtown family member on now, and in nearly every hour.

I feel terrible for this girl. I really do. And, I understand why she wants action.

But, making emotional arguments is not the right way to make laws.

Gabby Giffords doesn't deserve a vote. That's not how the system works, and it shouldn't.

And, here's a long absent analogy for you...

Kermit Gosnell murdered more people -- and more innocent children -- than Holmes and Lanza combined.

What do his victims "deserve"? What laws need to be changed?

Did Gosnell have hospital admitting privileges? Should doctors performing abortions be required to have them?

Maybe all abortions should be performed in hospitals.

Shouldn't we at least debate these issues in response to what happened? Shouldn't we at least hold a vote?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What use is a cogent policy point? So much of politics today is a theater of emotions, fear, rage, etc. The NRA and its supporters have successfully turned this into good people vs. bad people debate, with the bad people winning every time a gun law is passed.

Marco Rubio said on Meet The Press that America has a violence problem. He's right. It does. But our love affair with guns is part of why America has this problem. To cut gun out of the violence equation and focus entirely on the "bad person-ness" of the violence problem is a needle in the haystack. We will be forever reactive, or we'll turn American into some shootout nation where everybody packs heat and, hell, you don't know when someone's going to go off.

It just seems so...heartless to me. What a way to run a world -- guns against guns. Since amending the 2nd would just create a criminal underground (though not like Prohibition; it's kind of hard to "enjoy" guns in the parlor) I would hope we can get certain weapons, designed really just shoot a lot of bullets in a short amount of time, off the market.

6. Dick Whitman

Her op-ed this morning is utter drivel.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Then go to Google and throw your tantrums at them.

8. Dick Whitman

Wasn't the 2012 election largely said to have turned on the fact that while Romney and Ryan pumped out rhetoric from their big stage, Bill Clinton talked to the American people "like adults"?

9. Dick Whitman

You realize that Google itself is not the writing the stories, correct?

10. Who wrote it? Don't know much about her recovery, but can she write something like that?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is there a country with strict gun laws that has high levels of violence because the criminals are the only ones with guns and are running around shooting the scared citizens?

I'll check the Google and get back to everyone.

12. Dick Whitman

The difference is that they never had 300 million guns in circulation to begin with. We do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.