1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boswell calls the Washington Senators "Nats" three times in column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 4, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not earthshattering, just kind of amusing.

Great ripjob on DannyBoy Snyder, though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/03/AR2009090303498.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Isn't that an old school nickname for the Senators? My boss mentioned something to me one time when I shortened Senators to Sens for a headline.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's because that was their nickname here back then.

SeNATors, you know.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

OK. See that's why I didn't find it weird.

5. Actually, their official name was always the Nationals, I believe. At least for most of their history, and certainly for the Clark Griffith-Sam Rice-Walter Johnson-Bucky Harris World Series years.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I guess a california boy shouldn't post about Washington Senators history.

I'll go sit in the penalty box.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Correct.

Their name was originally the Senators, when they were founded in 1901. That was changed, officially, to the Nationals in 1905 and remained that way until Clark Griffith's death in 1955. Then, they changed it back to Senators ... and promptly left town.

But for most of their history, they were the Nationals, officially -- Senators, unofficially. And they never wore Senators on their uniforms until 1959; it was always just a simple "W" on their jerseys and caps.

So nothing wrong with Boswell calling the old Senators the "Nats." They were known as both.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted