1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bostonsj.com ... need help planning a trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pilot, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

So it's kind of a dream at this point, but a couple friends and I are kicking around driving/flying to Boston around St. Pats day to catch a Dropkick Murphys show, take in the sights and hang out on the actual St. Pats day.

Couple questions: the band is having four shows in the area, the one on sale right now in Lowell on Saturday night. Two are at the Paradise club in Boston, 967 Commonwealth Ave -- looks like right across the street from Boston University.

Are there places to stay in the area? Is that an area we'd wanted to be in any time other than concert time? Where and how far would the place to be for actual St. Patrick's day stuff be? We have a hook up at Marriott family hotels, so what neighborhoods and/or bar districts might have one of those (there are plenty in the chain not named "Marriott") that we could keep an eye out for?

Thanks for the help. I'd say there's about a 25% chance of this happening this year, but it'll be something to think about when we all get back together back at home over the holidays.

2. There's a Holiday Inn on Beacon Street in Brookline that's about a 1/4 mile from the 'dise.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pilot, if you come here, I'll buy the first round. Just make sure you wear the Pats shirt.

If you are around the weekend of the parade, make sure you go. It's a cultural experience, not as good as it was 20 or 25 years ago but still an interesting phenomenon.

BU is a fine area to be around at any time of day. One of the safer parts of the city, and there's a few good pubs near there, too. (Still never have hit T's ... maybe I need to turn in my Bostonian card.)

There are some (expensive) Marriotts right downtown ... Copley Place would be closest to BU (about a 15-minute subway ride away). There's also Marriott Long Wharf, Marriott Cambridge (by MIT ... a 10-minute non-rush hour drive to BU), a Courtyard in South Boston (not terribly far from the parade route, if you are around for the parade), and a bunch of suburban locations.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's been a dream of mine to see the Dropkick Murphys ... in Boston or wherever. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, too, and I believe the Throwdowns are happening this week. Have fun and let me know how the show goes, good sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted