1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston's Rapaport to NFL Network

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Mar 6, 2012.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Does autonomy matter?

If someone has decided to work for an entity, well, then that's who/what they work for.

A writer does risk being seen as part of a publicity machine, but he or she also won't care, because that's who they work for. They've gone over to that side -- whatever side it is -- as it were. That decision has been made.

Ditto for increased visibility/less credibility. It all depends on your point of view. By going to NFL Network, Ian Rapaport's point of view has/will change in accordance with his new employer. Whether that is good or bad also depends on your point of view.

Whether the NFL Network does "real" journalism, or not, also doesn't matter. It will cover the league as it sees fit...just as a newspaper would provide the coverage that it sees fit.

The differences -- whatever they may be -- have more to do with the employer than they do the employee, even if he's a good, strong, principled "young stud."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In this day and age autonomy can be sacrificed a bit for real job security. There are great stories on NFL.com.

3. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Was it Emilio at the Washington Post who said that when ESPN came calling for one of his reporters, the only thing he could ask was, "What kind of cake do you want at your farewell?"

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If there is, it might be the Lone Ranger.

5. When it first started I thought the credibility thing was going to be the case. I remember thinking that the reason Schefter broke everything was because the league handed it to him on a silver platter. But it's become quite evident to me, especially since Schefter left, that these guys still have to bust their hump to get stories and compete with everyone. The Network and NFL.com report on everything that everyone else does. And they chase down stories as much as anyone else. Schefter still breaks a ton at ESPN because he's just that damn good. Same with Mort. NFL Network took a hit when Schefter left and La Canfora took over as the main info guy.

That said, there are a few NFL controlled things that get teed up for the Network because of the affiliation. For instance, Albert Breer (who I think is very good) was all over the lockout stuff last year. A big reason for that is that he was basically the only reporter allowed in the court rooms and privy to those meetings.

6. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Schefter is a beast. A very tiny beast, but a beast nonetheless. :D

He's not the writer that LaCanfora is, but LaCanfora couldn't break anywhere close to the number of stories Schefter did. Working for NFL.com does give you an advantage over the rest of the pack, but I don't think it's the advantage that some think it is.

When you have young blood like Darlington and Ian at NFL Network, you're going to get great reporting. Whether they have to back off on some stories remains to be seen. If that's been the case, it hasn't been obvious.

7. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Congrats to Ian. To think, I knew him way back when he was a little guy looking for a job. Now he's a little guy with a big-guy job.
    Well-deserved. Keep up the hard work, Ian.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Give me one Ian Rapaport over a dozen Adam Shitfers any day...

9. IanRRapoport

IanRRapoport New Member

Thanks for the best wishes and other stuff on this thread, guys. Much appreciated. Looking forward to the next challenge, one that was completely unexpected.
    I wanted to post this in a thread about the Boston Herald job opening for my position, but it seems one doesn't exist yet. So...
    When I was hired by the Herald in July of 2009, I had no NFL experience. Yet my boss, Hank Hryniewicz, took a chance, and I think it worked out for all parties. (Kinda like Rusty Hampton did in 2004 -- thanks Rusty!!)
    The Herald is a fantastic place to work, with great editors who embrace creativity. The job of Patriots beat reporter is one that I thoroughly enjoyed. My advice to those wondering about the opening would be, even if you don't have the requisite experience, if you are talented, don't be shy. You'll likely be considered.
    If anyone has any questions, email me at ian.rapoport@gmail.com.
    --Ian

10. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

I'm not sure anyone wants to be the guy to try to fill your shoes, Ian. ;-)

11. Mizzougrad96

I think almost every SE in the country would be ecstatic to have either...

During my time as a sports writer, I never met a writer who worked harder than Schefter.

12. Co-signed.

Draft saved Draft deleted