1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BostonMed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Man, I hope people are watching this. It's documentary, which people tend to shy away from, but well done.

And you can't help coming away from an episode:
    • curious about one thing or another the docs had to deal with
    • realizing how precarious health is
    • touched by families' reaction to their loved ones in the hospital
    • kind of inspired by the intelligence and humanity of the docs

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

When/where does it air? I've never heard of it.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Is this anything like that "Johns Hopkins 24/7 thing that aired on ABC some years back?

4. Killick

@Smash - It was on at 10 tonite, on ABC. On every Thursday, at least for the near future.

@sportsguydave - Now that you mention it, yeah. Same ilk.

Tonight, they had a kid who was just accepted into college. He was playing basketball with his friends, had an asthma attack and died at the hospital. That, a WWII vet with mesothiolma, basically the tumor had encircled one lung, and a baby with congenital heart defect. Pretty compelling stuff. And right in the middle of it, a lung transplant that was keeping one of the docs from his daughter's dance recital.

It was the only sour moments of the series, for me, so far. He was busting ass to try to get there and wifey was being sorta-understanding... but you got the feeling if the camera wasn't there she would be bitching his ass off. Knowing he's doing the transplant, she was calling him on his cell phone before the recital started and asking where he was -- with a forced grin. Jesus, bitch. The guy is taking the lung out of someone and putting a completely new one in... SAVING SOMEONE'S LIFE. Cut him a friggin' break, huh? As it was, he got out of surgery, stopped at the hospital gift shop to buy flowers and made the end of the recital.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Fascinating stuff. Bonus for living near Boston is getting the updates on certain stories on the ABC affiliate.
    Sportsguy, same people that did JH 24/7 were behind this.

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The West Palm Beach affiliate ran the Boston station's update on the baby.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Watched last week. Riveting.

Can't remember if we set the season pass on the DVR. I really hope so. If not, does this re-run over the weekend or anything?

8. Killick

I don't think they're re-airing them, which is sad. It really is great stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted