1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston U. professor: 'Jingle Bells' is racist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

“Jingle Bells is racist, White Christmas is racist, Baby it’s Cold Outside is sexist. What the hell happend to the America I grew up in where people didn’t wake up every day trying to find something to be offended by?” one Twitter user wrote.

It's not "sexist." It's super, super rapey.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's hard to argue with this ...

“Although ‘One Horse Open Sleigh,’ for most of its singers and listeners, may have eluded its racialized past and taken its place in the seemingly unproblematic romanticization of a normal ‘white’ Christmas, attention to the circumstances of its performance history enables reflection on its problematic role in the construction of blackness and whiteness in the United States,” she wrote.

... mostly because I can't read and understand it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's written by the Under Armour CEO. [/crossthread]

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was flipping channels this weekend, and Celtic Thunder's Christmas special was on the local PBS station.

So, we leave it on for a bit, and Baby it's Cold Outside comes on. I tell my wife how the song has come under criticism in recent years for being super, super rapey.

She didn't really see it, but I think maybe it's because of how flirty the female singer played it.

What do you think? (Try to ignore the cold sore on the male lead's lip.)

qtlaw likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What does he think of the dreidel song?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Americans sure do love to act hysterical when someone points out that American history is full of racism.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

At least he didn’t claim that Santa Claus isn’t white

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wish I could find it, but I read an article a couple weeks ago about how in the 1940s context it was written and originally performed, Baby It’s Cold Outside, was actually a winking nod to how men could express their own sexuality, but women had to pretend they were good girls who would never do such a thing.

Double Down likes this.
  10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You've become such an insufferable bore. It's friggin Jingle Bells.

Those engaging in this sort of silly overreach might wanna consider the "boy who cried wolf" parable. Bleating about nonsense like Jingle Bells racism doesn't make the world more likely to take real racism seriously.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    cjericho, Batman and QYFW like this.
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The only people crying wolf are Fox News, and you're bleating right along with them.

Nobody said don't sing Jingle Bells. Nobody said you should feel bad about Jingle Bells. Nobody came out against Jingle Bells.

In a *research paper*, a historian noted that the song has connections to racist entertainment that was hugely popular at the time.

But there's a lot of money to be made in making oversensitive white snowflakes like you feel oppressed by smarty pants.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Perfection In Male Form RickStain is an incredibly humorous character here. Beats even Long Con Dick Whitman if you ask me.

FileNotFound, QYFW and Stoney like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted