1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston trip in May

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We may be heading to Boston at the end of May for a few days. Any tips for must-dos, must-sees, must-eats are welcome.

Also may try to go to Fenway for a game. Somehow, my oldest son became a Red Sox and Patriots fan.

I see they have standing-room tickets for $35 for that weekend series with Cleveland. I don't mind standing. Are those worth it? Are you shoehorned into a section or can you wander around?

Thanks.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Where are you staying? What does your family like?

Seats are sold out? You can always wander around, but the standing room view is good in only one area and you cannot get up on the left field wall. Keep an eye out on the secondary market. I don't get the sense people are enthusiastic about the Red Sox.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Haven't tried the secondary market yet. but didn't see any tickets for 3 or more in the reasonably priced areas.

We haven't figured out where we are staying yet. Plans are open.

Mrs. Ace has a work thing at Woods Hole, so we are tacking on a few days in Boston beforeheand.

4. justgladtobehere

I take it a car is involved? There is a hotel at the end of the D Line, a spur of the Green Line, which you can take right into the city. It is also just off 128, which goes through the nearby suburbs of Boston. You can get to the North Shore or South Shore in about the same time.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Likely rental car is involved.

6. justgladtobehere

It's the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside. (Riverside is the T station). Also, it is close to the Turnpike, which you can take to Worcester, Springfield, or Western Mass.

No idea if the place is good or worth it, but it is very well situated.

Ace likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You called it 128, which I'm told is a sign of an authentic Bostonian.

8. justgladtobehere

They changed the exit numbers and made 95 the official designation almost 30 years ago, but everybody uses 128.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Climb Bunker Hill Monument, if you want to be reminded of how out of shape you are.

I'm a fan of the Boston Harbor Islands. Taking a boat ride to one of the islands (Georges or Spectacle) gives you a unique perspective of the skyline. It's a hidden gem, IMO.

If you like seafood, I suppose you can't come here without giving Legal a try.

As for Sox tix, it depends on how well they start. Another bad start and you'll have a much easier time getting something.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

P.S. If you're a bike rider, the trail from Falmouth along the old railroad line to the Woods Hole docks (Shining Sea Bikeway) is pretty nice, and it's not super challenging.

Ace likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Duck Boat tour is worth it if you have limited time. You get to see most of the city, and if you spot something that catches your fancy, you can go back later to that spot.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ace, if Mrs. Ace is in Woods Hole, blow off Boston and spend the time on Cape Cod. The summer crunch will not have hit yet. Beaches, golf, wonderful seafood to eat, etc. Standing room at Fenway is not worth it. In fact, about 10,000 seats in the joint aren't worth buying (although the rest are super).

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ace, blow off Cape Cod and go see Montreal. #Canuckistan!

Huggy and Ace like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted