1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston or New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Noted, Moddy. But we always could have fun in the Chi.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Big Ragu,

Nothing personal, but your description of the real New York has cemented my decision never to go there. I'll take beer in a can, a Chicago-style pizza and barbeque with the family any day.

Again, nothing personal. Some people have different tastes. Just sayin'.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Canal is worthless now, they had to get rid of all the good fakes. Not that I would ever know. ::)

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dude, I lived in Chicago. I love Chicago--perhaps more than NY. This isn't a pissing contest. I gave a, hurried 20 word description of some things in NY that touched on about a billionth of the things that there are to do here. If that "cemented" your decision to never visit, good luck with your decision. Me? I love traveling to new places and experiencing them. If you ever decide to broaden your horizons, PM me and I might be able to suggest some good "beer in a can" activities that are uniquely NYC.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I love both cities. Boston has the feel more of a big  college campus  and New York has a much more sophiscated feel.

On the basis that you've already been to NY, I would chose Boston.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My favorite beer-in-a-can NYC place is this little pizza dive near Boom's parking garage.  We could go anywhere in the city....and we head to this teeny joint with 2 rickety metal tables near a bus stop. I don't even know why we do it, but it's distinctly New York.

That said, don;t get me wrong, there's something to be said for the places that are not near a bus stop.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

BR,

That sounded condescending. I'm hurt.

I told you it was nothing personal (never said there was anything wrong with what you like; I was just stating a regional bias), but if it makes you feel better to point out how much more cultured you are, blather on.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No man, it makes me feel better to keep an open mind about places I have never visited.

Actually, editing it: What exactly about what I wrote in that post could give anyone the impression that I was pointing out how much more cultured I am?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You had your pinkies pointed up as you typed. We could tell.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, that's where we're different. I like to travel, but only as a means of getting to the places I'm comfortable in. It's a short list, and I'm comfortable with that.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Down by the river, down by the banks of the River Charles....

[​IMG]

Aren't they Monaco's royal family? :D

[​IMG]

12. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

One of my friends from college who lives in NYC has a friend who owns a bar in Red Hook with a horse shoe pit. It's tremendous. Spent a good night or two there when I've been in town. That's about the only hole in the wall place I know in the area.

Draft saved Draft deleted