1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston or New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Jul 1, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As you would say it, IJAG, "You're dead to me."

I am actually pretty sure you have never seen the NYC the RIGHT way.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Been twice.

All the "vitality" was cheap and manufactured, and it just looked like miles of people rushing rushing rushing to do nothing but keep rushing.

Very depressing.

3. The Big Ragu

Then you definitely didn't see NYC the right way. Jazz in the village. Pizza at Patsy Grimaldis. A concert in the park. A movie outside at Bryant Park or at the Brooklyn Bridge Park on a Thursday night.

Nothing rushed about it or people rushing to do it.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If I wanted nature, I sure as hell wouldn't go to NYC. Hence, park activities are out.

Jazz sounds fine. I've had NYC pizza. I can take it or leave it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

So you spent a lot of time in mid-town Manhattan, saw the Disney-fied Times Square area and missed the 99% of that little island that has great things to do...and a lot of it can be done for free.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't think I spent more than half a day in Manhattan. Saw Times Square for 10 minutes.

Any other assumptions?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, whoever was showing you around had no clue what they were doing. ;D

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

We didn't really 'show around.'

I spent three days there in college, we wandered. The others I was with loved it. I went back a couple years ago, didn't really get out much, saw not much outside of Queens.

I just don't get it. Not saying others won't. Saying I don't.

9. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Sold. I think I'll head to NYC and enjoy some of this. As many times as I've been to NYC, I've never bee to Grimaldis because the person I'm with never wants to wait in line. Thanks TBR.

Of course, the fact that I have a free place to stay really, really, really helps in this case. Boston will have to wait.

10. The Big Ragu

This is why I can't have these conversation with you. Grimaldis isn't generic "NYC pizza." It's special. If you try it and don't like it, so be it. But you are judging things you haven't experienced. And "park activities" could very well mean several thousand people camped out on blankets on the great lawn with their best bottles of wine and a small feast from Dean & Dellluca listening to the New York Philharmonic (the best in the world) giving a free concert. But hey, you can get that sort of nature anywhere, so why bother with depressing NYC. Not to mention the food. Don't know where to begin. Pick a Mario Batalli restaurant. Any one from Babbo or Esca to the simplest, Otto Enoteca. You are not getting that anywhere else. Then maybe you can walk it off, through Washington Square park to stop and watch some freaks--maybe a stop at Cafe Reggio for desert, or why not keep going down to Little Italy for an even better desert. Damn. Just thought of it is depressing the hell out of me.

11. The Big Ragu

I'll out myself a touch more than I have before... I live within spitting distance of Grimaldis. :)

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hey, King Douche, I DIDN'T LIKE IT.

I didn't say no one else would. And why would I know Grimaldi's is "special?" Fuck. It's pizza. I've had Geno's. I've had other kinds of "special" pizza. Guess what? It's dough and sauce and cheese.

Fuck you and your fucking superiority complex.

Draft saved Draft deleted