1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Marathon -- One Year Later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

GRRRRR. MEDIA BAD! MEDIA BIASED! GRRRRR

There. Happy? Now can we actually discuss a significant event without the bullshit?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Shoddy coverage by the Globe?? I thought they did a tremendous job.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well to start The Globe ran a front page story next day about the little boy from Dorchester who was
    killed running to hug his father as he crossed the finish line. Turns out his father
    did not run because of a bad back.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Because it's about the survivors. It's why the brothers' names aren't mentioned either. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

5. outofplace

No, but it is an easy concept to ignore when you are trying to push a narrative.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

According to a WBZ reporter in Boston, the name of the suspect is Kayvon Edson, and inside the backpack was a pressure cooker filled with confetti.

After a quick Google search, here is link to a Facebook page with his name:

https://www.facebook.com/kayvonedson?fref=ts

And then there's this ..... ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYXbBjRvJyc

I hope he enjoys jail.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Why is this thing always about Boston and never a shared national experience? It's unlike other American tragedies in that way, and consistent with Boston's navel-gazing.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think 9/11's national tug was the multiple cities hit, the Boston Marathon has been pretty low profile for a couple of decades now.
    I think mostly thought is that it was perpetrated by locals w/o foreign involvement.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Boston Strong is being used as a self-branding device.
    This is very much in line with the Boston way of doing things- the showy self-display, the exceptionalism in grief.

10. outofplace

It is kind of a tough comparison to make just because 9/11 was so much larger. The direct tie to a known terrorist organization makes a difference. People saw 9/11 as part of an ongoing threat. I don't think the Boston Marathon bombing is seen that way. The involvement of multiple cities was a part of that. People outside of New York believed they could be next, at least for a little while.

Speaking of other cities involved, I'm not sure how 9/11 is viewed in the D.C. area. I do remember that downtown Pittsburgh was evacuated after Flight 93 went down in Somerset, but once people realized the attacks were likely over, it became fairly clear that Pittsburgh was not a target.

The scale of the attack is an even more important variable. The death and injury toll was much higher with 9/11, but also there was the loss of the towers themselves. Not to diminish the bombing of the Boston Marathon, but the amount of tangible damage on 9/11 was much more devastating.

I do think that 9/11 is viewed very differently in New York than it is elsewhere. So many people all over the metropolitan area lost somebody, or at least know someone who did. So many others were involved in the recovery in some way.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The brothers were born in the Soviet Union and Kyrgzstan, came the US at ages 16 and 8, and the older one's citizenship was held off due to FBI investigations. His 2012 trip to Russia is suspected of triggering or contributing to the attacks, and there were reports Russian intelligence didn't share everything they had on him with the FBI a week or so ago.

Maybe there's not a direct link to a group like al-qaeda, but I wouldn't call these guys locals, especially the older brother.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They had to be local enough to think the Marathon was worth bombing. It's not something that would've occurred to somebody in a cave in Yemen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.