1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Marathon -- One Year Later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

One year ago today, two bombs went off at the finish line, and the week that transpired after the event was almost surreal, with the manhunt, the chase and, ultimately, the capture.

Lots has transpired since last year's marathon, but Boston will remember those affected today. For those scattered around the country, I'm sure it's not a "Where Were You" moment, but if you lived in the region, it's tough not to play back what was surely a sad week.

http://boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/04/15/city-marks-one-year-anniversary-boston-marathon-bombings/XPHocJNNMIIorSuApMsyjN/story.html

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I know where I was because a high school golf tournament was taking place when the news broke. There are only two other things I can say for certain that I know where I was when they happened: 9/11 and the Joplin Tornado.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of my good friends was a reporter for a Boston TV station. He was in the thick of it, close enough during the manhunt to hear shots fired when the brothers were confronted and one drove over the other one to escape.

He won't admit it. But I think the intensity of that week was the proverbial straw that broke his back. Not long after, he decided to get out of reporting.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Story doesn't mention the motivation of the bombers.

Neither does this one in the Times: nyti.ms/1gYN5n2

Imagine a one-year anniversary story about the recent shootings in Kansas that did not mention the motivation of the shooting.

Why is it left out of these articles?

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The focus of these events and the stories is the victims and the responders, not the bombers.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And here we go again.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Jesus fucking Christ.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/04/15/breaking-marathon-finish-line-evacuated-after-suspicious-packages-discovered/DTSiAn2NlNQe3honPF97uO/story.html?p1=ClickedOnBreakingNewsBox

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Hope it's nothing.

As an aside, I really hate "curation" articles of whatever you term that. Way too many updates and tweets and videos and pictures to sort through to try to find out what's happening when I can do a simple search and get this ABC news article and find out all the information in 20 seconds.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure. Of course the focus should be on the victims and responders.

Does that mean you leave out all information about the bombers and their motivation?

Fast forward one year. Could you write about the shootings in Kansas, and not write about the motivation of the shooter?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not worth a thread, but a very humble, very tremendous house ad by the Boston Globe. Well done. Very well done.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A lot of selective memory and self congratulations for what was shoddy coverage by
    The Globe and shoddy police work.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was at work and on lunch following the marathon on twitter. I had just completed my first marathon less than two weeks before. The first indication was a tweet from Runners World along the lines of "Hey, there were just two loud explosions near the finish line. Will update." (*That wasn't the exact tweet, but it was something similar.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.