1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Marathon doesn't invite Meb Keflizighi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Feb 11, 2011.

1. sportbook

sportbook Member

I know there isn't a lot of marathon/running discussion on this board (why would there be?) but this is an interesting story. Does anyone have a better sense of what this is all about?

Meb was second at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and won the NYC marathon as recently as 2009. He also is a U.S. citizen and ran in high school in San Diego, although he was born overseas. He's considered to be one of the classiest champions and is beloved by other runners.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/10/boston-marathon-doesnt-invite-keflizighi/#

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NO!

If Meb isn't there I definitely won't watch!

Total bullshit. I am so outraged. I'm sure Bob Ryan is right on this.

3. sportbook

sportbook Member

There's no reason to be a smartass. I found it kind of interesting. If you don't want to read about it then don't.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Meb is one of the classiest athletes you'll ever meet. He's been an ambassador for the sport and is a very proud American.

The Boston Marathon blew it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe it has something to do with his running the NYC Half-maratahon only a month earlier... pretty short recovery time.
    Shouldn't matter but if Boston suspects he might not be at his best the financial offer might be lower than Meb deserves.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Essentially, that 13.1 mile run a month earlier would be a training race. If he's running 26.2 chances are he has a long run planned once a week for 1-2 months before his race... He might be going a good 18-20 miles two weeks before.

For most people, I could see how that would be a problem. But for a world class athlete it shouldn't be a big deal. And it completely sucks that he was left out. I always enjoyed watching Meb.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

Nah, the NYC half doesn't matter. Ryan Hall, for example, is running both races.

If it's true that Meb didn't receive ANY offer from Boston, that IS outrageous -- and especially outrageous for a race on US soil. You'd think they'd be killing to attract the best American marathoners for publicity's sake. Instead they got these household names: Geoffrey Mutai, Gilbert Yegon, Tadese Tola, Evans Cheruiyot and 2010 New York City champion Gebregziabher Gebremariam.

Great runners, but from a business/marketing perspective? Go figure.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

We're there for you, man. Come here. Man hug. Be strong.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Imagine, Mr. 8-seconds making fun of marathon runners.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. You can't see a "spelled like it sounds" ad campaign off that guy?

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

This has already been covered in the running running thread

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Seriously? A world class marathon runner needs more than a month to recover from a 13.1 mile run? Not buying that explanation at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted