1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald scoops the AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 3, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The reason the AP's NFL awards were shuffled today? The Boston Herald polled AP voters and wrote a story that Belichick would win the Coach of the Year award that was originally scheduled for a Jan. 13 publication date.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1064306&format=text

So it's coach of the year for Friday papers and the rest of the schedule gets shuffled.

This was only of interest to me because we have a kid who should figure into the defensive rookie of the year award, which was originally set to be released today.

I know, I need a hobby.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

When did "breaking" these silly post-season award stories become such a big deal?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. I think folks should just let it be released.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

And not ten minutes ago, I got an e-mail alert from the Globe stating the same thing.

Who cares? Is Coach Hoodie winning NFL COY such a big deal that it deserves the "Breaking News" tag?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Did anyone NOT know he was winning it?

Really? I mean, I was holding out hope for Cam Cameron, kind of a 'going-away' gift, but come on!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

IJAG,

Your cat has a dingleberry.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

And that's the other point. IJAG is dead-on. The Pats go unbeaten and skull-fuck the NFL in the process, setting new offensive records. It would have been a story if Belichick didn't win COY.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, it's an issue because there are people who wouldn't vote for him because of the cheating scandal. This is not the routine Coach of the Year story.

Making it "breaking news" is just part of the manufactured drama of newspaper websites.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Gosh, HeijraHank needs a life.

But I'll tell him a secret: Tom Brady will be the AP's MVP. Don't post it anywhere else, yet, please.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Disagree. That was one game. Had it happened last week? Maybe. But then? The team was too good for an entire season NOT to recognize it.

To do otherwise would have been insincere and petty. And I HATE the guy.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I know people who won't vote for him for any award (including the HOF) because they consider his accomplishments tainted by his ethics.

12. You know you some morons.

Draft saved Draft deleted