1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald pulls Ron Borges column on Tom Brady

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

With plagiarism already on his resume, he should be fired. Knowing the Herald's history with its Patriots' writers going ahead with fake stories, he'll probably get a title change and a raise.
    I think some in the old guard are going to say "it's not his fault, how's he supposed to know it wasn't Yee's number." The answer is pretty simple - you make 100 percent sure it's him, especially if it's out of the blue. Call his agency and confirm. Find someone who might have his number and confirm it. Or just assume a guy texting you from a 401 area code when Yee is based out of LA isn't actually him. Being "catfished" or "pranked" isn't a good reason to get this wrong.
    Worst part is Borges' story says "sources" and I think it's safe to say someone told him he needed another one and he lied and said he had one.

Tweener likes this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

You definitely want to have a short phone conversation with your source on something like this. "New number who dis" is not enough.

I thought they story was still plausible and the radio thing could've been BS but if the Herald yanked it then I guess not

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That is some seriously shoddy journalism. Yeah, if he's citing "sources" and it's only a single text from an unknown contact...he comes off as gullible and deceitful, a toxic mix for a journalist. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets shitcanned for this.

Tweener likes this.
  5. Rhody31

Allegedly he did. The texted talked to the hosts this morning and said Borges called. Told him "I only have like three seconds, make it quick." And asked if what he texted was true. He said yes and hung up.
    So Kirk and Callahan played audio of Don Yee's voice. Dude who pranked Borges is from Rhode Island, so to say there was a slight difference in how their voices sounded would be an understatement.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

"Ron, it's me, Don Yee, texting from my burner account. This story is too big! The Krafts may be onto me. Can't text from my regular number!"

Rhody31 likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Borges didn't have Yee's real phone number? Didn't think to check with beat writers who would have for sure? Hardly best practices.

QYFW likes this.
  8. Rhody31

Borges loves to talk about Belichick's ego getting in the way. This is a perfect example of his ego getting in the way. He couldn't contact someone to have the number because that would mean he wasn't important enough to have it.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's a case where my bad memory and sloth would have served me well as a columnist. I was always calling the beat guys about stuff I probably should have known.

Joe Williams likes this.
  10. Rhody31

Here comes Ed Werder blaming someone other than the person who made the mistake. What a joke.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Borges screwed up but its also extremely low to do that to someone. No mutual exclusivity on scum here

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

co-signed Mante Teo

Draft saved Draft deleted